Durban's acting mayor, Fawzia Peer, was taken to hospital after allegedly being poisoned through the bottle of water she was drinking from at a council meeting. Reports indicate that Peer is recovering well.
KwaZulu-Natal is still a chaotic province in trouble, it seems. Just a week ago, former eNdwedwe mayor, Maxwell Hadebe, was shot and killed in KZN and it is believed to have been a political killing.
Now it is feared the acting Durban mayor, Fawzia Peer, could have been poisoned through the water she drank at a council meeting on Thursday, 27 June.
Peer had complained about a burning feeling in her mouth after she consumed the water. She spent time in an ICU unit after being rushed to hospital.
eNCA reports that opposition parties are calling for a thorough investigation and the water has since been sent to a lab for testing.
According to IOL News, Nelisiwe Nyanisa, ANC chief whip, was sitting next to Peer when she drank the water from a bottle that was sealed.
Briefly.co.za gathered that Peer had noticed a smell on the water and asked Nyanisa to smell if it smells like paraffin, who confirmed it. Other ANC members agreed that the water had the smell of paraffin.
She got dizzy and started throwing up, and was immediately taken to hospital for treatment, where doctors flushed the toxins from her body.
Peer took over from Zandile Gumede, who was forced to take 30 days' leave following her arrest on corruption charges.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!