- Bruce Koloane claims that the approval of the Guptas' Waterkloof landing was a "misunderstanding"
- Koloane made the statement while testifying before the State Capture Inquiry
- Koloane's testimony is set to continue over the week
Former chief of state protocol, Bruce Koloane, says that the approval of the Gupta family's landing at Waterkloof Air Force Base was " an issue of pure misunderstanding".
Koloane made the claim on Monday during his testimony before the Zondo Commission.
Koloane was the only official who was disciplined as a result of the Guptas' controversial landing.
Koloane says that the high commissioner tried to contact him regarding the landing, but got through to Koloane's personal assistant instead as he was out of the office at the time.
Koloane said that his assistant discovered that the request for the landing had been sent to the department of defence, rather than to Dirco, Briefly.co.za has gathered.
However, Koloane says that his assistant sent an e-mail in which she claimed he had "telephonically approved" the landing, according to the Mail & Guardian. Koloane asserts that this was a misunderstanding. He said that he did not, in fact, approve the landing.
Koloane's statement comes after former Dirco director-general Jerry Matjila on how the Gupta landing violated proper protocol. Charges were laid against Koloane as a result of the landing and he subsequently pleaded guilty.
It has since been confirmed that Koloane has ties to the Guptas, although it is not yet known where he has any connection to Jacob Zuma. this comes as there has been speculation that Koloane was a "fall guy" for the former president.
Koloane has since said that he will apologise to Zuma and the ministers for using their names. His testimony is set to continue.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!