The SABC has confirmed that DJ Fresh is scheduled to return to Metro FM on 15 July but there are reports that the presenter refuses to do so if he is forced to apologise on air.
DJ Fresh was suspended from the Breakfast Show last month following a complaint that was lodged with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa. The complainant alleged that Fresh used an adaptation of the isiZulu swear word, “msunery” in response to a listener on air. In a separate incident he allegedly told another listen to “stop tweeting from his ar**”.
SABC spokesperson, Vuyo Mthembu told TshisaLive at the time, that the matter was between the broadcaster and DJ Fresh.
Vuyo spoke to TshisaLive earlier today and confirmed that the SABC had been found guilty by the BCCSA for Fresh’s offensive language and, after an absence from its schedule, the presenter would return to air on 15 July.
“The SABC can confirm that it has been found guilty by the BCCSA, for the contravention of clause 6 of the BCCSA code of conduct, relating to the use of offensive language used by its on-air presenter Mr Thato Sikwane on the Metro FM show, ‘Fresh Breakfast’. The SABC will abide by the ruling and the sanction, which was imposed by the BCCSA. The SABC is committed to ensuring sound governance and internal controls irrespective of an employee’s position or rank.”
However, TshisaLive reported that two senior SABC sources close to the matter told Sunday World that after receiving a letter from the SABC telling him of their decision and his need to apologise on air, Fresh allegedly wrote back through his lawyers and refused.
They added that Fresh’s legal team had allegedly given the SABC an ultimatum that he be reinstated immediately.
However, Fresh’s lawyer, Genevieve Brand, said she could not comment and would issue a media statement later this week.
DJ Fresh then shared a statement on his social media claiming that he offered to apologise unreservedly two weeks ago, but was still given three weeks extra as a punitive measure. See his post below.
DJ Fresh also took to social media last week to apologise to his fans about the “wall of silence” and said the situation has been frustrating, not only for him but all his fans too.
“It’s been three weeks of not knowing what the heck is going on. It has been as frustrating for you as it has been for me. Truth be told, one of the main reasons there has been such a massive silence is because we had an impasse with the corporation. At this stage, I can’t even tell you whether this impasse is breakable.”
But in the statement this week, the SABC said they had made DJ Fresh aware of the decisions against him and was surprised that he was “giving an impression that he did not know what was going on.”
“Mr Sikwane has consistently been made aware of the reasons for why he is not scheduled. It is unfortunate that Mr Sikwane is giving an impression that he does not know what is going on, when the SABC has been communicating with him in this regard.”
About two weeks ago, Briefly.co.za reported that although both DJ Fresh and Metro FM have remained mum on the return of the presenter to the breakfast show, fans are now fearing the worst after DJ Fresh shared a post on social media about him making changes in his life.
Big Dawg, as he is known, made headlines and remained the talk on social media last week after Sunday World reported that presenter DJ Fresh had been suspended by the SABC for allegedly using four language on air.
Angry fans then took to social media using the hashtag #BringBackDJFresh to demand that the presenter return to his morning slot. They also threatened to boycott the station if their demands were not met. But there was still no word from the station except that the matter was pending an investigation.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!