- Former South African cricketer, AB De Villiers, has opened up on the controversial claims that he tried to make a forceful return to the Proteas squad on the eve of the World Cup
- In a statement, De Villiers conceded that he had offered to make himself available for selection but that it was taken out of context
- De Villiers revealed that he’s been labelled selfish and arrogant as a result of distorted statements
Former South African cricketer, AB De Villiers, has cleared the air regarding the controversial claims that he tried to make a forceful return to the Proteas squad on the eve of the Cricket World Cup.
The batting legend felt that the time was right to issue a statement now that the team has been eliminated and cannot be distracted.
Briefly.co.za noted that De Villiers issued the statement via Twitter on Friday and has already attracted hundreds of comments, with 15 000 people liking the tweet.
The former Proteas skipper admitted that he availed himself on the eve of the tournament, but that his offer was taken out of context completely.
The statement reads: “Second, on the day of my announcement, I was privately asked whether ‘the door was still open’ for me to play in the World Cup. I was asked. I did not offer. I quickly replied “Yes”. With hindsight, maybe I should have just said no, but my natural instinct has always been to find a way to oblige whenever possible.”
De Villiers then revealed that the offer was made during a casual conversation with current captain, Faff Du Plessis.
The statement continued: “Faf and I have been friends since we were at school together and, two days before the World Cup squad was announced, I contacted him for a chat.
“I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required… but only if required. I made absolutely no demands at all.
“I certainly did not try to force my way into the World Cup squad on the eve of the tournament, and did not expect to be included.
“Then, out of the blue, on the evening after the Proteas lost to India, suffering a third successive World Cup defeat, elements of our private conversation were disclosed to the media, and distorted to cast me in the worst possible light.”
De Villiers suspects that the falsified claim was an attempt at deflecting criticism of the team and management.
He concluded by emphasising his support for the Proteas and the love he has for the game.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY’s news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!