- ANC NEC member Jackson Mthembu says the ANC is happy with the way the CR17 campaign debacle is being dealt with
- This comes after he said that a pres conference would be held to address the matter, but then swiftly took this back
- Political figures including Derek Hanekom and Floyd Shivambu responded to Mthembu's tweet
Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu says the ANC is satisfied with the way it is handling issues related to Cyril Ramaphosa's CR17 election campaign.
Jackson took to Twitter to say that ANC members who held leading roles in Ramaphosa's campaign would hold a press conference on Wednesday to address the matter.
However, he swiftly changed course and said that no media briefing would be held.
This comes after News24 published e-mails between Ramaphosa and his campaign manager which reveal that the president was more involved in fundraising for his campaign than he had previously claimed.
A spokesperson for the president has since cast doubt on the e-mails' authenticity and suggested that they may have been obtained illegally, Briefly.co.za has gathered. This is relevant, as Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane reportedly used these e-mails as the basis for finding that Ramaphosa had misled Parliament when he claimed not to have had direct knowledge of campaign donations.
Perhaps in an attempt to address this speculation, Mthembu said that senior officials in the campaign would speak to the media to provide more details about the campaign.
"The briefing will remove any confusion regarding who was responsible for what," he tweeted.
Just hours later, however, Mthembu said that the press conference was cancelled.
Hundreds of people on social media replied to Mthembu's tweets, with many cracking jokes and posting memes.
One of them was Mzwanele Manyi, who wrote, "Would have been interesting to hear which section of the Constitution of your own organisation you relied on to do a fundraising of this nature, and what all this means to internal democracy of your party. I guess we missed out."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!