- Bheki Cele says police are committed to clamping down on criminality in the Johannesburg city centre
- This comes after a number of raids over the week
- Cele praised police for their handling of the busts
Police minister Bheki Cele says that criminals will not be allowed to run the Johannesburg CBD.
Cele was referring to a number of police operations that took place in the inner city this week.
He also applauded the police for their work during the raids.
"We are saying there is no country that can have parallel governments," Cele said, comparing the criminal networks in Johannesburg's city centre to an unofficial state.
Additionally, Cele announced that police had taken hold of a large number of illegal firearms this week and would be taking the weapons for ballistics testing, Briefly.co.za has gathered.
Gauteng Premier David Makhura confirmed this, saying that at least seven machine guns had been uncovered. He said that a number of undocumented immigrants had been taken into custody as well during the busts.
This follows protests in the city on Wednesday which led to looting, according to The Sowetan. Reportedly, roughly 200 people marched in the city centre before looting from a bottle store and a restaurant.
The protesters then clashed with police before dispersing. No arrests have been made but the police opened cases of theft, public violence and malicious damage to property over the incident.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!