- Cosatu weighed in on several topics, including Ramaphosa's CR17 funding and Mboweni's economic plans
- The organisation says they rejected the Finance Minister's plans
- They have called for more negotiations over economic policy
Cosatu held a press conference on Thursday to address a number of issues.
The touched on Cyril Ramaphosa, Busisiwe Mkhwebane and Tito Mboweni's plans for the economy.
The organisation also expressed dismay at the continued factionalism within the ANC.
One of the main topics Cosatu spoke on was the new policy document released by Finance Minister Tito Mboweni in which he announced plans to address the economy. These include regulations in areas such banking, agriculture, tourism and more.
Cosatu has rejected the document, however. They say they want more negotiations to take place regarding a way forward for the economy. They reportedly want the National Economic Development and Labour Council (Nedlac) to facilitate these negotiations.
The plan was also slammed by the Southern African Clothing and Textile Workers' Union (SACTWU), an affiliate of Cosatu. SACTWU referred to the plan as "the most brutal attack on worker rights since the advent of democracy", Briefly.co.za has gathered.
Cosatu has also previously voiced opposition to privatisation of state-owned enterprises, according to Business Day. Mboweni's new plan, which includes proposals to sell off Eskom's coal-fired power plants, has been viewed by some as opening the way toward privatisation.
These plans received similar criticism from the SACP, which described the document as an attempt to impose a "neoliberal policy regime".
Additionally, Cosatu seemed to defend Cyril Ramaphosa's CR17 campaign. They said critics of the president were attempting to "scandalise the concept of fundraising by the CR17", according to City Press.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!