- A man has called on South African men to take action
- This comes after the rise in Gender Based Violence in the country
- Social media users had mixed reactions about the post
A local man has called on the men of Mzansi to make a difference during this dark time in the country. He said that staying silent is enabling abusive behaviour.
Popular musician The Kiffness took to Facebook to make his plea to South African men.
"It begins as thoughts, and those thoughts become words. Those words become actions & the actions develop into character traits"
He called on men to challenge the way they speak to one another and to stop encouraging chauvinistic views.
"It’s easy to stay silent when we’re faced with guys who make misogynistic jokes or chauvinistic slurs. We’ve all been there"
He went on to say that he has been in a similar position where he had to call people out.
"It’s not a nice situation to find yourself in, but a brief moment of discomfort in your life potentially could save an innocent woman’s life later on"
He concluded his post by saying:
"Good men, stand up"
Social media users had mixed reactions about his post. Facebook user Christoff Smuts said:
"Unpopular opinion... virtue signaling will not help anyone, we have a problem with rule of law breaking down. Only solution is for the law abiding men and women to get guns and learn how to use it. We are on our own"
While Darlin Sargood said:
"There are still good men out there, I believe that, I was raised by a good man, married one, my brothers are and I am proudly raising a very good young Man, to be a Gentleman, to stand up for others and himself, to treat women with respect, these words i speak each day to him, because he is the idea to a better future"
Angie Vorster said:
"Thank you for writing this. This is precisely what research confirms as well. Bias and misogyny and prejudice need to be consciously challenged in all contexts and in all forms. Starting with how we think about and discuss others"
The post comes after the announcement of Uyinene Mrwetyana's death on Monday morning. Briefly.co.za reported that that Wynberg Magistrate's Court heard the heartbreaking last moments of the slain UCT student yesterday. The young girl was reported missing on 24 August, resulting in a manhunt and nation-wide calls for her return. Students had waited to hear her fate, still hopeful that their friend had been found alive and well, but tears welled up when prosecutor Nomnikelo Konisi confirmed her death.