- More than 300 Nigerians have fled South Africa following the xenophobic violence in the country
- The rush followed the Nigerian president instructing government agencies to assist those who wanted to leave Mzansi
- Some of the foreigners have since spoken up, dubbing the violence "apartheid part two"
Last week Monday, the unrest in Gauteng hit a climax point and the rest of the week was plagued with xenophobic attacks following the death of a taxi driver, who was allegedly killed by a Nigerian drug lord.
Since then, the President of Nigeria instructed government agencies to assist the people who wished to return home and hundreds grabbed the opportunity with both hands.
On Wednesday, hundreds of Nigerians queued to the consulate in Illovo, Johannesburg, The Sowetan reported.
Briefly.co.za learned that more than 300 Nigerians were flown back to their home country.
Since then, several Nigerians who resided in Mzansi have spoken up about the violence against foreigners in South Africa.
Stone Amuchie was one of the Nigerians who fled South Africa after he immigrated to Tembisa in 2011.
Amuchie, who worked as a cosmetics trader, said he would never return to South Africa, even if the situation was to calm down.
He added that he ran for his life on 2 September when South Africans attacked his business and looted it.
City Press reported on another Nigerian, a 57-year-old gogo, who was not lucky enough to be on Wednesday's flights out of SA.
The publication reported Grace Ajayi got emotional when she spoke about the violence against her people in South Africa.
She revealed the attacks left her traumatised and she had no other option but to return to Nigeria.
Ajayi immigrated to South Africa in 2007 and she settled in Khayelitsha, where she started a restaurant.
However, she had to travel to Joburg on Tuesday to seek assistance from the Nigerian consulate to return home.
An emotional Ajayi revealed that her business - which employed several South Africans brothers and sisters who she loves - was looted and destroyed.
“They say these young people are crazy for carrying out these attacks. They are not, they are triggered by government officials. They are carrying out apartheid part two," she said.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!