- The Economic Freedom Fighters have hailed Herman Mashaba for his contribution as mayor
- The outgoing mayor of Johannesburg received a glowing review from the Red Berets following his resignation
- The EFF in the region has been co-existing alongside the DA government in the metro
The EFF has lauded Herman Mashaba as a 'humble and consultative' politician who was 'willing to concede to superior logic'.
In a statement issued by the Red Berets following the announcement this morning, the party commented:
“Of all the mayors who presided over opposition coalition governments in hung municipalities, following the outcomes of the 2016 local government elections, Herman Mashaba is the only one who never arrogated himself into a leadership style as if the DA had won with an outright majority."
The 'disappointed' party had sung praises about Mashaba's conduct and achievements during his reign over the coalition government.
Mashaba, according to the EFF, had turned his back on 'white supremacy and anti-poor policies' that they claimed belonged to the DA, saying that the outgoing mayor “became more social democratic than even the neoliberal ANC that his coalition government replaced”.
The EFF listed Mashaba's achievements during his short-but-sweet tenure:
- Running the city with the poor and not having profit at the centre of policy planning
- In-sourcing workers
- Taking electricity to informal settlements
- Expropriating factories around Alexandra for expansion of social housing
- Expanding the operating hours of clinics in poor communities
- And opening rehab centres in addiction-ridden areas
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!