The stunning, powerful, independent and outspoken Unathi Nkayi turns another year older today and all that means is that she’s gotten wiser.
Unathi is a mother, a radio personality, a singer, an Idols SA judge, an MC, an inspiration and so much more – she’s a woman of endless talent.
Briefly.co.za knows that today is Unathi’s 41st birthday, but she does not even look a day over 30.
In celebration of the multitalented mogul on her special day, we bring to you 10 facts about Unathi that make her the magical human being she is:
1. She was born on 6 November, 1978 in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape.
2. TV was Unathi’s first love but radio and singing followed shortly after.
3. Unathi has two degrees, a bachelor’s degree in journalism and drama from Rhodes University in Grahamstown and a degree in international media studies from the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands.
4. A kwaito track called Sana Lwam was the song that kicked off Unathi’s music career.
5. She was nominated for the Best South African Radio Host award at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards in 2014.
6. Unathi’s judging thing started back in 2004 when she co-hosted Popstars alongside Rowan Cloete – she then moved onto Idols SA in 2011 and has been there ever since.
7. One of her songs, Sgubhu, was featured in the Academy Award-winning movie, Tsotsi, in 2006.
8. Unathi married fellow DJ, Thomas Msengana (aka Bad Boy T) in 2009, but the two unfortunately split just a couple of months back.
9. She has inspired many with her weight loss journey and dedication to fitness.
10. Unathi is a proud momma to a beautiful princess named Imboyothando.
Happy birthday, sisi!
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!