Woman awakens from 7-month coma after doctors said she was dead

Woman awakens from 7-month coma after doctors said she was dead

- Kertisha Brabson suffered from anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, a disease where the body fights its own brain cells

- The 31-year-old Ohio indigene went into coma for seven months as a result

- Brabson was declared brain-dead and doctors pulled her life support but the unexpected happened

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

From Ohio in the United States, Kertisha Brabson would be counting her blessing each day following a near-death experience after being in a coma for seven months.

The 31-year-old would not be alive today if it wasn’t for her mother who never lost hope that she would wake up again.

Her mother, Kertease Williams, brought her to the hospital in September 2018 when she noticed something wrong with her.

At the hospital, she was doing weird things such as reaching out for invisible things, talking to herself, and dancing without music before she had a seizure that put her into a coma.

Kertease Williams, who has no medical background and has never been to school did everything in her power to bring her daughter back.

Doctors eventually found Kertisha was suffering from anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, wherein the body fights its own brain cells.

Williams confirms the doctor told her that her daughter was brain-dead and that was not easy finding out how to fix it.

''They told me she was brain-dead and pull the plug and all those things,'' Williams recounted.

After moving to several hospitals, Kertisha was then brought to Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State.

Dr Shraddha Mainali, a specialist in stroke and neurocritical care, who admitted that the mortality rate for her condition is above 60 percent, treated her.

Kertisha was still having up to 20 seizures a day, but Dr Mainali’s team worked hard to treat her. After four months under her care, in April 2019, she woke up.

Kertisha said she had no idea 7 months had passed while she was asleep and in a coma. She said, ''I have no idea. I don’t remember anything.''

Dr Mainali was glad to be a part of the amazing team that kept Kertisha alive. ''I am quite hopeful in her case that she’s going to continue to do well and hopefully live a normal life,'' she said.

READ ALSO: On this day in history: South Africans get first television broadcast

Meanwhile, Williams was beyond grateful to the medical professionals and that she didn’t give up on her daughter, especially for the sake of Kertisha’s 2 little kids, Diamonique and Perez.

''Every decision that I made was because she got two little people that was depending on their mother to come home and that was her kids,'' Williams said.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel