Donald Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

Donald Trump backs away from more military conflict with Iran

- United States President Donald Trump said his country was ready to embrace peace with “all who seek it”

- The leader of the most powerful nation on earth called for renewed diplomacy and an end to hostilities with Iran

- The former television personality, however, said the US will impose more economic sanctions on the Middle East country until it changes its “behaviour”

- Tensions between the two countries began when the US assassinated Iranian top commander Qassem Soleimani on Friday

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

United States President Donald Trump has backed down from more military conflict with Iran.

The leader of the most powerful nation on earth has instead called for renewed diplomacy and an end to hostilities with the Middle East country after noting no American or Iraqi lives were lost in the recent attack on Iraqi military bases by Iran.

In a press conference at The White House on Wednesday, 8 January, the 45th US president said his country was ready to embrace peace with “all who seek it”.

“Our great American forces are prepared for anything. Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world,” he said.

READ ALSO: Iran attacked 2 United States military bases stationed in Iraq

Trump said that peace and stability would only be achieved if Iran stopped terror, hatred and mayhem.

The former television personality, however, said the US would impose more economic sanctions on Iran until it changes its “behaviour”.

“As we continue to evaluate options in response to Iranian aggression, the United States will immediately impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime. These powerful sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behaviour,” he said.

The escalation of tensions between the two countries started when the US assassinated Iranian top commander Qassem Soleimani in what Trump called a decision taken to “stop war”.

“Last week, we took decisive action to stop a ruthless terrorist from threatening American lives. At my direction, the United States military eliminated the world’s top terrorist, Qassem Soleimani. As the head of the Quds Force, he was personally responsible for some of the absolutely worst atrocities,” he added.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel