- The ANC is rumoured to have splashed R50 million on its birthday celebrations this year
- Despite this, some supporters staged an impromptu protest over the lack of food and dignity afforded to them
- Elderly supporters and children were allegedly left in the lurch without sustenance and accommodation
The ANC's 108th birthday celebrations were meant to be a time of reflection and festivities for the ruling party.
But for some, it was a difficult journey allegedly without food or accommodation despite the promises made by event organisers.
A video clip of an impromptu protest has gone viral, with participants claiming they were left starving on their journey to the event in Kimberley, Northern Cape.
The video depicts a crowd donning ANC shirts, with one angered supporter revealing that:
"They said we would get food in Upington, we didn't get food in Upington. We are with elderly people here on the buses."
When asked what the arrangements had been, the woman said event coordinators had made big, but empty promises:
"They arranged that when we come this side, according to the kilometers, we must get accommodation to wash, eat and rest."
Another visibly upset man spoke on the behalf of the others onboard the bus, which had traveled hours to the event, saying that:
"There are elderly people, there are kids on the bus, they didn't even eat. From Thursday they didn't even receive food ( including) Friday morning. There are old people here that didn't even wash."
The entire ordeal has seen the man rethinking his political affiliations, with the supporter saying that:
"What does the ANC think of us? And every election year they are coming to us, asking to get a lot of people into the hall for the meetings. And then they do this? It is not right!"
Briefly.co.za reported that the event is rumored to have cost the ruling party around R50 million, with the majority expected to go towards transport.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!