- Minister Patricia de Lille intends to change the laws on state and official funerals
- This comes after it emerged that millions were being spent on the funerals of ANC veterans
- The minister says the relevant officials were facing criminal charges after ludicrous payments were made
Minister Patricia de Lille wants to limit how much can be spent on state and officials after it emerged that taxpayers had paid millions over the course of the last two years.
The Sunday Times reports that the funerals of three ANC veterans, including Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, had cost R76 million.
The company involved inflated prices, charging the government the following questionable amounts:
- R7 million for chairs, couches and cushions
- R2.47 million for draping
- R695 000 for orchestra equipment
- R30 000 for three graves to be dug
The minister says the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure has given the orders to lay criminal charges against the supplier for inflating the invoice:
“The department intends to institute civil and criminal action to recover R7.7 million from the service provider in this regard."
Briefly.co.za reported that the ANC's recent 108th birthday celebrations are estimated to have cost R50 million, with many questioning if the cash couldn't be put to better use.
Despite the hefty price tag attached to the event, limited attendance had been noted for the occasion that drew top ANC members including President Cyril Ramaphosa, ministers and diplomats.
Those who did attend were captured on video complaining about the lack of food during the long trip to Kimberly.
Buses of attendants reportedly didn't receive meals and accommodation as promised, prompting an impromptu protest.
The video depicting the supporters turning against the same party they had been en route to celebrate has since gone viral.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!