Fact Check: No, Eskom is not considering Stage 8 load-shedding

Fact Check: No, Eskom is not considering Stage 8 load-shedding

- Reports have been circulating that load-shedding at Stage 8 is imminent

- With Eskom under strain to provide power to the nation, speculation has been rife that the outages will be back with full force

- Brielfy.co.za explores the facts behind the situation in order to bring readers the truth

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Numerous reports have been doing the rounds that Eskom has told municipalities that Stage 8 load-shedding is on the way.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the embattled power utility said that contingency plans for severe situations didn't mean they were planning to implement the outages that would see 8 000MW taken off the national grid.

The state-owned entity is adamant that the 'likelihood of reaching Stage 8 is low', with the highest stage implemented to date being Stage 6.

READ ALSO: Stage 6 load-shedding may soon be a reality for South Africa

Instead, Eskom explained that there had been a misunderstanding between itself and municipalities:

"When Stage 6 load shedding was implemented in December, not all metros or municipalities had published their extended load shedding schedules," said Eskom in a statement. "The Association of Municipal Electricity Utilities therefore engaged most of its members to confirm their compliance to the code – i.e. whether Stages 5 to 8 had been published by those Metros that had not yet done so."

In a separate statement Eskom revealed that no power cuts were in the pipeline for today, with emergency reserves adequate to supplement any shortfalls that may crop up.

Briefly.co.za reported that numerous energy experts warned the nation to brace for the possibility of high stages of load-shedding.

Many in the field are adamant that the power cuts are here to stay for the foreseeable future as Eskom attempts to repair years worth of mismanagement.

The utility said in a separate statement that it is not planning power cuts on Tuesday, as emergency reserves would likely be adequate to supplement a shortfall in generation capacity on should the need arise.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel