Most of us have a hard time choosing what to do after high school in terms of which career to pursue and even deciding which university or college offers quality education. It is also important to look at an institution that has the best resources and is affordable. Well, if you are looking for a college that provides high-quality education, then West Coast College is one of the institutions to consider.
West Coast TVET is an educational institution located in Malmesbury, Western Cape, South Africa. However, West Coast College Malmesbury, which Campus Manager is Mr Phumzile Nkuzo, is just one campus, as there are other campuses in Atlantis, Citrusdal, West Coast College Vrendenburg and Vredendall in South Africa.
The institution's central office is located in Leodolf Street, Malmesbury and their offices are open Monday to Thursday 7:30 am- 4 pm and on Fridays 7:30 am-3 pm. The offices are closed at the weekends.
READ ALSO: 10 best colleges in South Africa 2020
The CEO and Principal of the establishment, Lungisa Mbulawa, was appointed on 20th August 2019 after acting in the position for 18 months. Mrs Nomathe is the Deputy Principal in charge of education and training, and Mrs Rhazia Hamza is the Deputy Principal in charge of innovation and development. The institution maintains a strict no fraud policy.
The Campus Manager for West Coast College Atlantis is Mrs Thenjiwe Mdoko, while the West Coast College Vredenburg Campus Manager is currently Mr Themba Ndaba. Mr Johan Engelbretch is the acting Campus Manager for Vredendal Campus. The education centre has also collaborated with both the local and national government of South Africa to clean the Diep Rivier in Malmesbury.
Application and requirements
Unfortunately, an online application process is not facilitated yet. Instead, prospective learners should fill in the forms and submit them to the nearest campus. To send an application to join the school is easy as it just takes four simple steps. These are:
- Choosing your career: This step allows the student to choose their preferred choice of course as well as the campus.
- Filling in the application form: The West Coast College application form online is available here. Alternatively, one can visit a campus near them to collect a form. The education centre also has a Special Needs Application Form to be filled where applicable.
- Submitting the application form with the West Coast College requirements: The supporting documents that should be attached include certified copies of the birth certificate, identity documents, academic transcripts, recent parent's payslips, divorce or death certificate (where applicable), among others.
- Taking a Competency Assessment Test: This test is done to establish the numeracy and literacy abilities of each student.
READ ALSO: Top universities in South Africa 2019 - 2020
The school fees will depend on the course you want to pursue. The fee structure for each course is available here. The college also offers residence to students, if they apply.
West Coast College courses
The highly revered educational institution offers a lot of competitive programs for every learner. Each course has its special requirements and duration of the study, so every student must have due diligence before applying. These programs include:
National Certificate Vocational Programmes
These include the following:
- Education and Development
- Electrical Infrastructure construction
- Office Administration
- Primary Health
- Engineering and Related Design
Report 191 Trimester Programmes
- Electrical studies
- Engineering Studies
Report 191 Semester Programmes
These comprise the following:
- Business Management
- Financial Management
- Hospitality and Catering services
- Human Resource Management
- Management Assistant
- Public Management
- Apprenticeships such as Welding, Electrical, Construction, Fabrication, among others.
- Learnerships such as Community House Building, Mixed Farming System, Community House Building, among others.
- Skills Programmes such as Engineering, Basic Welding, Electrical, Fitting and Machining, Cooking, Cleaning/Hygiene, Gardening, Hairdressing, Events Management, Life Skills, among others.
This includes a Pre-vocational Learning Programme.
Higher Educational Programme
The institution offers a UNISA Degree: B.Ed Foundation Phase course.
2020 intake and registration
2020 registration for successful applicants is ongoing, but the application deadline was on the 30th of November 2019. Although the application process in manual, the college has gone digital. Every student learning there is given their own students’ portal where they can get all their information regarding school fees, academics as well as the school’s latest updates. The staff members also have portal accounts that help them to carry out their duties with ease.
READ ALSO: The best private colleges in South Africa
Truly, WestCoast TVET College is the place to be for academic excellence. You can find out more information and the latest updates about the institution from the news section on the website, and their social media accounts on Twitter @westcoastcol, on the Instagram @westcoastcollege as well as the Facebook page.
Are you looking for an approved TVET college in South Africa? West Coast College is an institution that you should consider. It offers a wide range of courses, the fees are affordable, and there are adequate resources for each student.