Harry breaks his silence on decision to step back from royal roles

Harry breaks his silence on decision to step back from royal roles

- Prince Harry has opened up about his decision to step back as a senior member of the royal family

- The Duke of Sussex made the remarks during a charity dinner in the UK on Sunday

- Harry revealed the decision was not taken lightly and it was with "great sadness" that it had come to that

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Prince Harry has finally opened up about his and Meghan's decision to step down as senior members of the royal family.

The Duke of Sussex made the revelations during his speech at a charity event for supporters of Sentebale in London.

Harry started off that he wanted to clear the air on the decision, saying:

“Before I begin, I must say that I can only imagine what you may have heard or perhaps read of the past few weeks. I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share, not as a prince or a duke but as Harry."

A clip of the speech was posted on the royal couple's official Instagram page.

Harry opened up about finding the love of his life in Meghan and revealed that she upholds the same values as he.

The Duke of Sussex added they were excited to serve the crown after getting married but sadly it did not work out as they hoped.

“We were hopeful and we were here to serve,” he says, adding: “For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this.”

Harry revealed the decision to step back was a hard one but he added they had no other choice.

"There was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.”

Take a look at the video below:

READ ALSO: Zodwa Wabantu and her man are still in love and going strong

“Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and my military associations but without public funding,” Harry said during the speech.

He added:

“Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible. I’ve accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am. But I hope that helps you understand what it had come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.”

Briefly.co.za previously reported that according to a statement by Buckingham Palace recently, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will lose their royal titles.

The pair will also lose their royal funds after deciding to step away from their duties.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel