Refugees lose battle with City of Cape Town: Court orders compliance

Refugees lose battle with City of Cape Town: Court orders compliance

- Over 700 refugees seeking assistance in Cape Town learned their fate on Monday

- The High Court has ordered the refugees to comply with municipal by-laws

- This comes after Minister Aaron Motsoaledi commented that they had been hoping for the impossible

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Cape Town High Court has ruled against refugees who refused to leave a local church and surrounding areas.

The city had approached the court, seeking to expel the 700 refugees who had been occupying the area since October, demanding to be resettled back to their respective countries, Briefly.co.za gathered.

The court has since granted an interim order, ensuring that the refugees abide by the city's municipal by-laws, a ruling that exclusively applies to the asylum seekers living around the Central Methodist Church.

READ ALSO: Gumede defends controversial State of the Nation Address appearance

eNCA spoke to Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi, who had indicated the state's hands were tied in the debacle.

Motsoaledi maintained that the government had no authority to dictate to other countries that they would be repatriating the refugees:

"There is only one solution: To reintegrate people back to where they were before coming to the church."

The minister revealed that the refugees weren't seeking passage home, but rather to other countries:

"With Namibia, I've got a letter from the minister who said it's not going to happen," said Motsoaledi. I met the deputy minister of immigration and refugee affairs of Canada, and she said it wasn't going to happen. It's impossible for us as government to tell another country that we are bringing people."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel