A good South African pancake recipe will help you make delicious, fluffy, and soft batter cakes with ease in less than 20 minutes. There are a variety of South African pancake recipes to choose from. Different ingredients give those cakes great flavors. You can get creative and use more ingredients that are not in the recipe to add more flavor to the dish, but be careful not to spoil the flavor.
The best pancake recipe for you is the one that matches your cooking skills and has available and affordable ingredients depending on your budget. The dish can be prepared for dinner, lunch, or breakfast. If it is your first time to make South African pancakes, start with simple recipes and a few batter cakes.
South African pancakes recipes that are easy to follow
Do you know how to make the traditional batter cakes? How many pancakes should you make? That depends on the number of people you will serve. Here are simple recipes to try:
How to make traditional Bazaar batter cakes
They are the easiest to make when you seek guidance from pancakes recipe easy. Do not overmix the dough to avoid getting dense and tough batter cakes, and use a pan that has a flat surface. Also, do not make too big ones because they will be difficult to flip on the pan.
Here is an easy pancake recipe South Africa for making batter cakes that are enough for fourteen to eighteen people:
- 250g wheat flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 375 ml pint milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine sugar)
- 30 ml melted butter (2 tablespoonfuls)
- 1 tablespoonful cinnamon ground
- 2 tablespoonfuls brandy or cognac or rum
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, caster, and salt and then sift the mixture.
- Whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, caster, pint milk, and cognac, rum, or brandy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mix and whisk all together until you get a smooth thin dough that looks like fresh cream. Pour it through a fine sieve to ensure that it is light enough.
- Allow the dough to thicken for thirty minutes.
- Thin it down by whisking it in a little water if you feel that it has thickened too much, but be careful not to make the batter very thin.
- Preheat the pan over medium heat until it is hot enough.
- Spread a thin layer of butter onto the pan before you cook the first batter cake to prevent it from sticking onto the pan.
- Add two to three tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the pan and ensure that it covers the entire surface of the pan.
- Little bubbles will appear on the surface of the batter cake. When one of its sides turns brown, flip it to cook the other side.
- Repeat the steps from step 7 until you are done with preparing all the batter.
- Put the cooked ones on a plate or bowl but cover them with wrap when they are cold to prevent them from drying out if you are not serving them right away.
Butter is essential because it adds flavor. Alcohol is also essential because it serves the purpose of yeast. Please use only one of the liquors or use your preferred hard liquor. To avoid using alcohol, add baking powder in step 1 and use water in step 2.
READ ALSO: Easy crunchies recipe: South Africa style
Do you know how to make pancakes without milk?
This thin pancake recipe makes cakes that have neither milk nor liquor. It suits people who are allergic to milk and kids. Children should not be exposed frequently to meals that have liquor. You can add grape, apple, or any other fruit juice. Make them spicy with nutmeg, cinnamon, or any other spice that you know. Plant milk like soy, rice, or almond milk will do the trick.
Enjoy the cakes with coffee, tea, maple syrup, chocolate sauce, fruit juice, salmon blinis, chicken and potatoes, ham and cheese, or any other dish that you love. Here is an easy pancake recipe for twelve people:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cup of water
- 3 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons oil or butter, divided
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar until they blend.
- Use another bowl to mix the eggs, water, and oil (or butter instead of oil).
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk them until you get a smooth thin batter.
- Preheat the pan over medium heat and spread a thin layer of oil or butter over the whole bottom of the pan.
- Pour a thin layer of the batter onto the pan, preferably two to three tablespoonfuls, and tilt the pan until the dough covers its entire bottom.
- Flip the batter cake after around two minutes for the other side to cook. Ensure that the sides of the pancake turn brown.
- Place the cakes on a plate and repeat the process from step 5 until all the batter has been used.
Which Pannekoek recipe is the simplest?
This pancake recipe easy will enable you to cook pannekoek that has no sugar. Sugar-free pannekoek is as tasty as the one that has sugar.
READ ALSO: Best chocolate cake recipe in South Africa
- 300 g wheat flour
- 1 teaspoonful salt
- 2 tablespoonfuls melted butter
- 1 tablespoonful cinnamon ground
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
- Mix the flour with salt and cinnamon over a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and whisk them into the milk.
- Add milk and eggs into the bowl that has the flour and salt and whisk them until it turns into a thin, smooth batter.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and allow the dough to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a piece of butter in a pan.
- Add a tablespoon of batter into the pan and turn it until the batter covers the whole bottom of the pan.
- Cook each side for around two minutes over medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you are done cooking the cakes.
- Cover them with a lid to keep them warm and soft.
Cooking skills vary; hence, if there is anything you can add or eliminate from the South African pancake recipe, please do. You need to be comfortable and confident while in the kitchen for you to make mouth-watering batter cakes. The cakes can be frozen and reheated for a few days without going bad.