Do you ever stop to ask yourself how the government spends the revenue it accrues from taxes? Do you understand the logistics that are applied when the country releases a budget report indicating how much its expenditure is and how the economy will be affected? These details of the South African cabinet ministers salaries could shed a little light on the issue.
The 2020/2021 national budget was rolled out on 26th February 2020, and some of the areas that it had an impact on are the salaries of government officials. Before the budget report for this fiscal year was released, the Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Public Office Bearers had recommended a 3% increase for all the officials who earn an annual salary that is more than R1.5 million and a 4% increase for officials making a yearly income of less than R1.5 million. How would this recommendation affect the South African cabinet salaries? You might want to find out more.
How much are government officials paid?
For the 2020/2021 fiscal year, President Cyril Ramaphosa gave consent to a letter that dictated a salary increase for some of the government officials. Among those that were lucky to receive the 3% increase were officials whose annual salary is less than R1.5 million. Other top officials, like the deputy president, did not benefit from the salary increase.
South African cabinet ministers salaries
In 2019, the finance minister South Africa indicated that the country is on a journey to reduce its budget by 27 billion for the next three years. For this reason, most of the South African ministers have not benefited from the salary increase proposal. This is a breakdown of the official salaries of the government officials as well as those from the South African cabinet for this financial year:
Cyril Ramaphosa salary
How much is the salary of South African President? Since the president did not approve the proposed 4% salary increase that would have seen him earn an annual salary of R3 079 540, he currently makes R2 987 154.
How much do the cabinet members make? Currently, the official salary for cabinet ministers in South Africa for one year is R2 401 633, while deputy ministers of South Africa earn an annual salary of R1 977 795.
South African Parliament members and National Council of Delegates salaries
How much is the leader of the opposition paid? This list gives a breakdown of his annual salary and that of the other members of parliament.
- Speaker of the National Assembly makes R2 825 470
- Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly earns R1 977 795
- Chairperson of the National Committee of Provinces makes R2 825 470
- Deputy Chairperson of the National Committee of Provinces gets R1 977 795
- The House Chairperson earns R1 882 488
- The Chief Whip of the Majority Party gets R1 600 467
- The Chief Whip of the National Committee of Provinces makes R1 600 467
- The President of the Parliamentary Council makes R1 600 467
- The Deputy President of the Parliamentary Council earns R1 600 467
- The Leader of Opposition gets R1 600 467
- The Chairperson of a Committee gets R1 495 755
- The Deputy Chief Whip of the Majority Party earns R1 346 232
- The Chief Whip of the Largest Minority Party earns R1 346 232
- The Leader of a Minority Party gets R1 346 232
- The Whip gets R1 249 236
- A Member of Parliament earns R1 137 933
- A Parliament Delegate of the National Committee of Provinces gets R1 137 933
Other government officials salaries
How much is a member of provincial parliament salary? This list highlights the annual salaries of the executive councils, provincial legislatures, and premiers.
- A Premier makes R2 260 409
- A Member of the Executive Council earns R1 977 785
- The Speaker gets R1 977 785
- The Deputy Speaker earns R1 600 467
- The Chief Whip of the Majority Party bags R1 495 755
- The Deputy Chief Whip of the Majority Party earns R1 266 567
- The Chairperson of Committees makes R1 346 235
- The Deputy Chairperson of Committees gets R1 266 567
- The Leader of Opposition takes home R1 346 235
- The Chief Whip of the Largest Minority Party gets R1 266 567
- The Leader of Minority Part earns R1 266 567
- The Parliamentary Counsellor to a King or Queen earns R1 137 933
- The Whip makes R1 137 933
- A Member of the Provincial Legislature earns R1 101 348
These lists of the South African cabinet ministers salaries are a reflection of a percentage of the government's expenditure. Do you think the government is on the right track regarding the country's economic state?
DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. Therefore, it is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility.