-The Eastern Cape government has revealed that it will engage in a discussion with the families of those who dies in the bus crash about the possibility of a mass funeral service
- Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has come out to say that he suspects foul play and that the bus had been overloaded, which could caused the accident
-A case of culpable homicide has been opened even though the bus driver also died in the crash
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
THE Eastern Cape Transport MEC Weziwe Tikana-Gxothiwe announced that premier Oscar Mabuyane had instructed the local government to assist the families of the 25 victims who died in a horrific bus crash on Monday.
The MEC told DispatchLive that a mass funeral service where all the families can come together was on the cards.
"If they see it working for all of them, then we will conduct it and assist. We depend on the families. This is a tragedy and it affects all of us,” said Tikana-Gxothiwe.
Briefly.co.za reported that politicians have weighed in on the tragic bus accident that left Mzansi shaken.
It is believed that the driver had lost control of the bus before it rolled down a steep embankment but the root cause of the incident is currently unknown. Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula suspects that the bus had been overloaded and that this could have played a role: "It is not business as usual for me. I want to know what happened. The numbers tell you that this is a result of overload."
READ ALSO: Actress Omuhle Gela confirms pregnancy but shares nothing on social media
Names of those who died in the horrific bus accident have been released and the provincial government will discuss the possibility of a mass funeral service with the families.
The list released revealed the victims were aged between 88 to three.
“There were 15 women and nine men who died at the scene and the boy who died in hospital,” said transport department spokesperson Unathi Binqose.
A case of culpable homicide has been opened even though the bus driver, Andrew Mpendulo-Ntsomboyi, was one of those who died in the accident.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!