Nedbank staff placed in self-quarantine over contact with coronavirus

Nedbank staff placed in self-quarantine over contact with coronavirus

- Nedbank staff members have been placed under self-quarantine over fears of possibly having contracted the coronavirus

- One of the staff members had been part of the group that went to Italy with the KZN man who tested positive for the virus this week

- Screeners at two airports reportedly failed to flag the infected man during his travels

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Several Nedbank employees have been placed in self-quarantine after one employee reported that he had come into contact with the man who tested positive for the coronavirus.

IOL reports that one of the staff members had been part of the group that had travelled to Italy, where the infected South African is believed to have contracted the disease.

The staff member had returned along with other group members on Sunday and subsequently boarded a flight to Durban's King Shaka International Airport the same day.

The report indicated that both airports had failed to flag the man, despite efforts to screen travellers before entering the country.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: First confirmed patient says he's feeling 'much better'

The possibly infected employee had later come into contact with numerous other employees in Durban meetings during the course of the past week.

This has prompted Nedbank to place all the employees who came into contact with him on self-quarantine.

Briefly.co.za reported that the 38-year-old man became SA's first confirmed case after testing positive for the virus.

He had experienced flu-like symptoms and sought the advice of a private doctor who had later confirmed the infection.

In response to this, the school the man's two children attend, Cowan House Preparatory, closed on Friday. The school said this was simply a precaution until more information could be obtained.

Nedbank's chief risk officer, Trevor Adams, commented on the decision to err on the side of caution in a statement:

“Nedbank can confirm that a Durban-based staff member was part of the group of people who arved from Italy on 1 March 2020 where one of the members of the group subsequently tested positive for coronavirus or Covid-19. The Durban-based employee has been self-quarantined and been tested for the coronavirus and is awaiting results in order to determine if the employee is positive or not. Nedbank can confirm that the potentially affected employee attended two meetings on March 2 at the Pine Walk branch and Nedbank’s Durban Kingsmead Campus conference centre. Staff that have come into contact with the potentially affected employee on 2 March 2020 have already been contacted and placed in self-quarantine. They will be tested before they are cleared from self -quarantine to return to work."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel