- South Africans living in the coronavirus-hit Hubei province in China will return to our shores on the ominous date of Friday, the 13th
- President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that he's employed 151 members of the defence force to provide support for the mission
- The repatriation of the more than 120 citizens will cost South African taxpayers R25 million
South Africans living in fear of the dreaded coronavirus wreaking havoc in Mzansi would not have enjoyed the presidential announcement made on Tuesday.
President Cyril Ramaphosa informed parliament that 151 members of the South African Defence Force have been employed to provide support for the task of repatriating the citizens living in the coronavirus-hit Hubei province in China.
Those with superstitious beliefs may fear the worst as the plane is set to arrive in South Africa on Friday the 13th.
South African taxpayers are braced for another knock, with SowetanLIVE reporting that the repatriation will cost a hefty R25 million.
Acting government spokesperson Phumla Williams said, “On board the flight will be the flight crew from the aircraft company and a total of 15 officials from the department of health and the department of defence.”
The Citizen reported that the expats would be quarantined for a period of 21 days before being allowed to re-integrate with their friends and families.
The Mail & Guardian previously reported that government had struggled to round up willing volunteers for the mission, but Health Minister Zweli Mkhize dispelled those claims.
He said, “The fear is unfounded but we will not be able to talk much about it because the SANDF, the chief of the army and the [defence] minister have not said anything to us about it.”
Previously, Briefly.co.za reported that seven people had tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY’s news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!