Coronavirus: 1 170 Cases confirmed as ministers brief South Africa

Coronavirus: 1 170 Cases confirmed as ministers brief South Africa

- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases has risen to 1 170 on the first day of lockdown

- This was revealed at an inter-ministerial briefing on the current situation

- The regulation limiting passengers in public transport has been lifted to help workers to travel

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Minister Jackson Mthembu has announced the total number of cases in South Africa is now at 1 170.

While Minister Zweli Mkhize announced two deaths earlier today, Mthembu explained that only one fatality was confirmed due to the coronavirus while the other is suspected to be due to virus.

Speaking during a National Command Council update Minister of defence Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula revealed that initially, the intention was to lock down Gauteng, KZN and the Western Cape.

However, the deployment has now been extended to include all nine provinces in light of the situation.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: 48-year-old Sanlam employee passes away amid pandemic

Mapisa-Nqkula admitted that some failures were noted during the launch of operations on Friday.

The minister explained that the SANDF will be moving around in a bid to monitor the situation. Numerous citizens have been moving from province to province with some finding themselves stranded at borders unable to pass through.

In addition to this, the minister defended President Cyril Ramaphosa's military dress when he spoke to members of the SANDF, adamant that as commander-in-chief he was within his rights.

Police Minister Bheki Cele says that with only 2 400 officers a total of 172 roadblocks were put into place, a good night in his books.

Cele noted that a total of 55 citizens were arrested for breaking liquor laws, reiterating that people should heed the calls to adhere to the regulations.

As for citizens seeking to purchase essential items during this period, Cele promised that a solution would be announced.

Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula said that transport as far as aircraft has now completely ceased.

Mbalula reiterated that curfews have been put into place to regulate that movement of public transport during the lockdown, admitting challenges in the current regulations.

The minister said that the 50% limit for vehicles has been increased to 60% in an effort to help essential workers to travel.

Briefly.co.za reported that one of the two fatalities revealed by Minister Zweli Mkhize this morning was Madeliene van Wyk, a 48-year-old Sanlam employee that had been admitted to ICU.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel