- Referred to by media as Mr P, the man was admitted to a Rimini hospital after testing positive for coronavirus
- He was released on Thursday, March 26, to his family after making a recovery
- This is the second pandemic the man has survived
- He was born in 1919, in the middle of the Spanish flu, estimated to have infected about a third of the world’s population
- Rimini has been hit hard by the pandemic, counting 1,189 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday alone
Though the number of novel coronavirus cases continues to rise by the day, happy endings still exist.
A 101-year-old man in Rimini, Italy, was released from the hospital Thursday, March 26, after recovering from the coronavirus.
The man only referred to as Mr P, is reported to have been among the oldest people on record to survive the virus, believed to be far more deadly for the elderly, CNN reported.
The Deputy Mayor of Rimini, Italy Gloria Lisi, said his quick recovery had been deemed truly extraordinary and gives hope for the future.
“The family brought him home yesterday evening,” Lisi told Italian publication Rimini Today. “To teach us that even at 101 years, the future is not written.”
Not only did he survive the novel coronavirus disease, the man, born in 1919, also survived the Spanish flu pandemic, which killed between 20 and 50 million people around the world.
Mr P’s survival is remarkable, especially considering the high fatality rates for older Italians who become infected with the virus.
According to a report from Italy’s National Institute of Health, nearly 86% of deaths in the country were patients older than 70 years old.
While China, the US, and Italy all had confirmed coronavirus numbers hovering around 80,000, Italy saw substantially more deaths, 8,165 compared to 1,000 in the US and 3,287 in China.
The age distribution of Italy’s population may be a factor— the country has the second-oldest population globally, with 23% of Italians clocking in at over age 65.
Mr P has joined the ranks of other centenarians to survive coronavirus, including 103-year-old Zhang Guangfen, a woman living in Wuhan, China, where the virus is believed to have originated.
Guangfen was admitted to hospital in early March 2020 and was discharged a week later.
On Thursday, March 26, South Korea saw its oldest survivor leave hospital after a 97-year-old female coronavirus patient made a full recovery.
She is reported to be from Cheongdo, a city not far from Daegu, which has seen the worst of South Korea’s coronavirus outbreak.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!