- A 86-year-old Bloemfontein man has become the third coronavirus-related fatality in South Africa
- The man's 81-year-old wife has also been admitted to hospital
- This comes as the total number of infections rises to 1 326 confirmed cases
A 86-year-old man from Bloemfontein in the Free State province has been declared the third coronavirus fatality.
The provincial Department of Health confirmed that his 81-year-old wife has also been admitted to hospital, with the department to meet with his family on Tuesday.
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that the fourth day of lockdown had seen the number of confirmed case rise to 1 326 on Monday.
Briefly.co.za reported that the government has launched a screening campaign, with 10 000 field workers deployed to conduct tests nationwide.
News24 reports that Department of Health spokesperson Mondli Mvambi had confirmed 2 767 citizens had been screened, with 256 tested and a total of 966 traced.
Mvambi said 25 tracer teams, consisting of 125 tracers per team, have been sent to Mangaung:
“These are men and women at the frontline. They are faced with an unenviable task of having to exercise patience in interacting with people who have to be shown the bright side of availing themselves to be screened in order to determine eligibility of testing.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa said that the number of recoveries in the pandemic should serve as a source of hope:
“This number of Covid-19 recoveries should send a message of hope to anyone who happens to test positive to Covid-19 at any given point in time that it is possible to recover from the effects of the virus. It is important to emphasize that these recoveries are highly influenced by the adherence to clinical advice and regulations as stated by the president through the lockdowns."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!