Coronavirus: Mkhize announces 1 353 confirmed cases, 2 new fatalities

Coronavirus: Mkhize announces 1 353 confirmed cases, 2 new fatalities

- Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has announced the latest figures of the coronavirus outbreak in South Africa

- The number of cases has increased to 1 353 including 5 deaths in total

- Over 42 000 Covid-19 tests have been carried out in South Africa since the onset of the pandemic

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize provided some insight into the current situation concerning the coronavirus on Tuesday afternoon.

Mkhize revealed that the number of new cases has increased to 1 353 infections, up by 46 cases as announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Tuesday.

The number of fatalities has increased to 5 with the death of a 79-year-old Gauteng man and a 46-year-old woman announced.

The minister said that over 39 500 patients have been tested for the virus, but explained that due to repeat testing over 42 000 Covid-19 tests have been conducted in South Africa since the beginning of the update.

Mkhize highlighted that the increase in numbers is currently less than previously expected, falling behind the initial estimates from experts.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus update: Mass testing campaign launched, cops face charges

The minister said that predictions had indicated around 4 000 to 5 000 cases at this point in time, but warned that it is still too early to tell what the outcome of the situation might be.

Mkhize chalked this up to the points of entry into the country being closed, revealing that 70% of the cases seen at a stage had consisted of citizens who had recently travelled overseas.

The minister noted with concern the number of confirmed cases in townships, saying that efforts will be focused on minimizing the impact on these areas.

Mkhize said that patients under 'unallocated' on a provincial level were due to a lag in the information received from laboratories, but promised that the issue would be resolved soon.

The breakdown of confirmed cases to date are as follows

  • Gauteng - 633
  • Western Cape - 325
  • KwaZulu-Natal - 179
  • Free State - 74
  • North West- 8
  • Mpumalanga- 12
  • Limpopo - 14
  • Eastern Cape - 12
  • Northern Cape - 6
  • Unallocated - 90

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel