- CNN anchor Chris Cuomo revealed that he has tested positive for coronavirus
- He said that he recently began experiencing symptoms after coming in contact with people who had been diagnosed with COVID-19
- Cuomo said he will quarantine down in his basement and continue doing his daily Prime Time show from there
- BBC presenter George Alagiah also tested positive for coronavirus two weeks after announcing he was self-isolating
- The BBC News at Six presenter is undergoing chemotherapy after he was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014 and again in 2017
Cable News Network (CNN) anchor Chris Cuomo was on Tuesday diagnosed with coronavirus.
Cuomo, the brother of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he was experiencing symptoms after being exposed to others who tested positive for the virus.
Sharing the news of his diagnosis on his Twitter handle, Chris also shared that he is currently isolated in his basement at home.
“I have been exposed to people in recent days who have subsequently tested positive and I have fever, chills and shortness of breath,” he tweeted.
The anchor's brother also announced his brother's diagnosis at his daily briefing saying he seemed confident of his recovery despite him not being strong.
The anchor further noted that he will continue working from the basement.
“I just hope I did not give it to the kids and Cristina. That would make me feel worse than this illness!” he said.
According to CNN, Cuomo was last at the network's Hudson Yards headquarters in New York City on Friday, March 27.
Cuomo is the third case of the coronavirus at CNN's New York offices after employees were notified of another case in mid-March.
CNN, as well as other major networks such as MSNBC and Fox News, have had several cases pop up in their New York offices as they navigate remote broadcasting.
As of Tuesday, March 31, afternoon, New York City had more than 38,000 confirmed cases of the virus and 914 deaths, according to a count by Johns Hopkins.
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC's) George Alagiah also gave hope to thousands of cancer patients when he revealed he had tested positive for coronavirus but was now feeling well again.
The newscaster who first diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, shared words of encouragement with fellow cancer patients on his own show – the BBC's News at Six.
Earlier in the month, he decided to stay away from the newsroom on the balance of risks and added that he was absolutely gutted.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!