Samosas are among the most popular snacks in Asia and some parts of Africa. The meal is easy to prepare because it does not require many ingredients. At times, they are cooked in different shapes depending on the ingredients. Interestingly, nowadays, one can prepare the snack from the comfort of your home without having to rely on YouTube tutorials.
It is vital to decide on the type of filling to use before starting to cook samosas. Most people like the vegan ones, which require spiced potato, lentils, or peas. On the other hand, some find meat samosas the tastiest ones. Irrespective of the choice, will you cook the snack given a samoosa recipe?
Ingredients of samosas
Normally, the ingredients are divided into two, for:
1. Samosa dough recipe
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, pour all the flour and salt and then make a hole in the middle.
- Pour water and mix the content using a wooden spoon until the dough becomes sticky.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes then divide it into four parts.
- Roll out each quarter into a log-shape and divide it further into three parts.
- Now, shape the three logs into balls.
- Repeat the procedure for the remaining logs.
- Keep all the 12 small balls covered to avoid excessive drying for 10 – 15 minutes.
READ ALSO: How to make homemade pickled fish for easter | Classic easter tradition in south africa
2. Samosa filling recipe
- 2 boiled and ponded potatoes
- 1 cup of cooked fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic
- 1 ½ finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of chile powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Take the boiled potatoes and pound them in a bowl and put them aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the onions and fry until they are golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt, chopped coriander, and chile to the now golden brown onions in the pan and allow them to cook for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed potato with the cooked peas.
- Finally, add the other already cooked spices to the mixture and mix well before you allow it to cool.
The process of cooking samoosas
Below is how to how to fry samosas:
- Assemble the samosas. Pick one of the small balls and roll it into a circle and then cut it by half. Follow the procedure of folding the samosas.
- Fill each folded samosa pastry sheets with the fillings from the bowl and seal them properly.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil into the frying pan.
- Dip several samosas at once into the pan but avoid overcrowding them.
- Allow them to cook in low heat until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer them into a plate lined with paper to absorb excess oil.
- Serve while hot with either chutney or ketchup.
NOTE: The method is similar even when one is using the chicken samosa recipe or beef fillings. Importantly, avoid cooking them in high heat to achieve desirable results.
More about samoosas
You might need to know the following essential facts even as you prepare to cook this tasty snack.
Where does the food samosa come from?
The origin of the entrée can be traced back to Asia, particularly in the Indian subcontinent. The delicacy was introduced in India during the Delhi Sultanate reign. At first, the snack was strictly made out of dough and spiced potato before some realized they could cook it using beef, fish, and meat. Currently, you can find the snack cooked in the streets of Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, and most African countries.
READ ALSO: 10 easy chicken breast recipes
How to fold a samosa
First, roll the small dough into a circular shape. Second, cut the circular rolled dough vertically into two equal pieces. Third, pick one of the cut pieces and place it so that the vertical cut side faces away from you. Fourth, put one finger of your left hand on the top middle of the vertical cut piece and use the left hand to fold the right end inside. Apply water or flour paste on the sides. Fifth, do the same with the left end too.
It will form a funnel-like shape with a space inside. Fill it with your pastry, leaving a little space on top. Apply flour paste all round and stick the sides together to form a triangular-shape.
What are the ingredients for samosa?
The ingredients may differ based on the type of filling recipe one chooses. For vegan samosas, one should have all-purpose flour/maida, cooking vegetable oil, salt, boiled potato or cooked peas, ginger, pepper, garlic, onions, and water. On the other hand, if you are not vegan, you can cook samoosas using lamb, beef, or chicken meat.
How do you roll a samosa?
Take a small ball of dough and place it on the kitchen table. Using a rolling stick, start to roll it while flattening it into a circular shape. Afterwards, cut it vertically to have two equal pieces. Better yet, you can roll the ball into a triangular shape. Overall, it is up to you to decide on the configuration.
How do you cook frozen samosa?
Frozen samoosas can be prepared using three methods: deep-frying, grilling, or baking them using an oven/toaster. Below is what you need to do when cooking frozen samosas by deep-frying:
- Remove the frozen samosas from the freezer/fridge and place them in a clean bowl to thaw for approximately 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Put vegetable oil in a pan to 400 F.
- Gently put the frozen samoosas in the pan and allow it to cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crisp.
- Put off the heat and transfer the samosas to a bowl.
- Dry the excess oil using a paper towel and your samosas will be ready.
Samosas are a favorite snack for many people. What is more, it is easy to prepare. Also, its ingredients are readily available, meaning that anyone can acquire them from the nearest grocery store. Lastly, we hope this guide has given you more insight into what to expect when cooking the snack.
- 10 best vegan soya mince recipes South Africa
- 5 best ever savoury mince recipes South Africa
- The best Durban beef curry recipe