- Somizi Mhlongo got himself in a world of trouble when he spilled some secret lockdown tea last week that turned out to be a dangerous joke
- The radio host said Fikile Mbalula had told him that lockdown was being extended
- Somizi was taken off the air after Minister Mbalula opened a case of spreading false information against him
Somizi Mhlongo was back on air today after a short suspension pending an investigation into him "joking" about Fikile Mbalula giving him top government secret lockdown details.
The Metro FM presenter is breathing a sigh of relief and thanking his lucky stars that the SABC has decided to see how his court case pans out before reaching a final decision about his employment.
SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo told Sunday World that the SABC decided Somizi would return to work after he was subjected to the organisation's internal policies and processes.
Mmoni said, "The SABC views the matter concerning Somizi Mhlongo in a serious light. It is also imperative to note that this matter was referred to the law enforcement authorities. As a responsible employee, we will allow the law to take its course and the matter reach its logical conclusion."
Last week, Briefly.co.za reported that Minister Mbalula had Somizi arrested on a fake news charge after the incident.
Somizi quickly apologised to Fikile and the nation for his error.
The star re-iterated that he, like the rest of South Africa, had no idea that lockdown would be extended.
Somizi said he was simply making a stupid joke when he went online and said that the minister had revealed the info to him.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!