- Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize has confirmed that 7 808 Covid-19 infections have been recorded
- 5 additional deaths have increased the total number of fatalities to 153
- However, over 3 000 citizens have managed to fully recover from the virus
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize has provided South Africa with the latest coronavirus statistics as the nation continues to report new cases.
In a statement issued by the Health Ministry, Mkhize confirmed that the total number of infections has increased to 7 808.
In addition to this, the minister confirmed that the number of fatalities has also increased to 153.
"Regrettably, we report 5 more Covid-19 related deaths, 2 from the Western Cape, 1 from Limpopo and 2 from KwaZulu-Natal. This brings the total national deaths to 153. We wish to express our condolences to the loved ones of the deceased and thank the health care workers who treated these patients. We are, however, pleased to report 3 153 recoveries."
To date, a total of 279 379 tests have been conducted with 11 315 tests done in the space of the last 24 hours.
The provincial breakdown is as follows:
- Eastern Cape - 849 cases (18 deaths, 388 recoveries)
- Free State - 130 cases (6 deaths, 102 recoveries)
- Gauteng - 1 720 cases (15 deaths, 1 036 recoveries)
- KwaZulu -Natal- 1 189 cases ( 38 deaths, 420 recoveries)
- Limpopo - 40 cases (3 deaths, 27 recoveries)
- Mpumalanga - 57 cases (0 deaths, 22 recoveries)
- North West - 37 cases (0 deaths, 20 recoveries)
- Northern Cape - 26 cases (0 deaths, 16 recoveries)
- Western Cape - 3760 cases (73 deaths, 1 122 recoveries)
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!