- A man has passed away after he allegedly consumed homemade alcohol
- Although the cause of death has not been confirmed, he and his stepdad fell ill suddenly after drinking the booze
- His stepfather is currently in the ICU fighting for his life
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
A Brakpan man has died and it is suspected the cause of death is the homemade booze he and his stepfather consumed.
According to News24, the 34-year-old father of two died in the Far East Rand Hospital on Tuesday after his organs shut down.
His stepfather, who also consumed the alcohol which they bought from an illegal local producer, is currently in the intensive care unit at the Far East Rand Hospital.
IOL reported the two men's families believe the alcohol is to blame for their conditions because they fell suddenly ill after consuming the illegal booze.
The man's wife reportedly told Netwerk24 that she and her husband first drank some of the alcohol on Saturday.
She revealed she felt ill the next morning and her husband appeared to be drunk. He and his stepfather then opened another bottle and drank more of the booze before visiting friends nearby and drinking the rest.
READ ALSO: Bianca Schoombee’s model agency cuts ties with her after racist saga
According to spokesperson of the National Police Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo, the source of their homemade booze has yet to be confirmed.
Naidu said the police are investigating where the men got the booze from and a sample has been taken for an analysis at a forensic lab.
He added the SAPS would not make the results public because it would compromise the critical evidential value.
"If we speak to publicly on the results, that might impact negatively on the case. We are also waiting for the post-mortem results of the son," Naidu added.
The ban on the sale of alcohol and tobacco has led many to find alternative options. South Africans responded to news of the man's death online.
Twitter user, @spencertain, commented:
"Homemade alcohol is going to kill more people than corona."
Another tweep, @RRulph, added:
"I think it was brewed too much."
Briefly.co.za previously reported that a video has gone viral showing locals looting a bottle store amid the coronavirus lockdown.
The clip managed to get over 194 000 views in just 21 hours and South Africans were shocked and disgusted by the behaviour.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!