- Patrice Motsepe has promised to pay all Mamelodi Sundowns staff their full salaries
- He said that they would receive their pay regardless of any games that are played
- Many clubs are looking for ways to cut costs as the ban on sports drains their funds
Mamelodi Sundowns president Patrice Motsepe announced during the clubs 50th anniversary in Sandton on May 21 that he would honour players salaries regardless of whether football is being played or not.
Briefly.co.za learned that he said that all staff would continue to receive the salaries during the lockdown period. He made the announcement when coach Pitso Mosimane signed a 4-year extension to his contract.
"We will continue to pay salaries whether there is football or no football. We will continue to pay everybody who works for us their salaries as if there was no coronavirus – it’s an obligation we have for them‚” said Motsepe.
Motsepe and his foundation announced earlier this year that they would donate R1 billion to the government's coronavirus Solidarity Fund.
Cape Town City chairman John Comitis revealed last month that he would and all other staff would take a 20% pay cut if football does not resume by the end of May according to SowetanLive .
“We all have to act responsibly to try and get everybody to be able to at least put food on the table. We’ve undertaken to pay full salaries in April with a clear understanding that if there’s no football return next month there have to be some drastic changes‚” Comitis told SowetanLive last month.
“Over and above that‚ if we do return there would still be some percentage cut across the board‚ including the players.”
Most clubs are experiencing financial difficulties due to the lockdown and are looking at ways to save money, including cutting players salaries.
In other news, Briefly.co.za revealed that the Brazilians are currently targeting two foreign players to add to their ranks.
Sundowns have already secured the services of George Maluleka, Grant Margeman and Jody February for the next campaign.
During a media briefing, Motsepe said, "Yugesh has done excellently, so has Kenneth, so has Sizwe and the rest of the technical team."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!