Ramaphosa: SA mostly moves to Level 3- Booze in, smokes remains banned

Ramaphosa: SA mostly moves to Level 3- Booze in, smokes remains banned

- President Cyril Ramaphosa has addressed South Africa over the plan to migrate from Level 4 lockdown to more relaxed restrictions

- Ramaphosa warned that the number of infections is set to spike, with the situation expected to worsen before it improves

- Level 3 lockdown will officially begin on June 1 with the exception of Covid-19 hotspots

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

President Cyril Ramaphosa is apologetic over the stringent regulations imposed by the current Covid-19 lockdown.

However, the president says an 'extensive' public health response has been made possible by the sacrifices made by citizens ahead of an expected rise in infections.

Briefly.co.za reported that Ramaphosa had earlier announced a migration to Level 3 would be taking place before June 1 and the nation's leader has been engaging with top officials over this plan over the course of the past week.

Ramaphosa warned that models on the pandemic indicated that the situation will get much worse before it improves, with the severity of the crisis depending on the actions of all South Africans.

READ ALSO: Ramaphosa to update SA on plan ahead of Level 3 lockdown relaxation

While South Africa shifts to Level 3 lockdown on June 1 hotspots will remain under more severe restrictions including Tshwane, Johannesburg, Ekhuruleni, Nelson Mandela Bay, Buffalo City and Cape Town.

Ramaphosa confirmed that alcohol will be sold at certain times for home consumption, while tobacco products will remain banned.

While the curfew has been lifted and citizens may now exercise at any hour, doing so in groups is prohibited.

Level 3 lockdown sees most public service officials returning to work, with Ramaphosa warning citizens against leaving the home for anything except essential movement.

Ramaphosa acknowledged the concern over the reopening of schools despite safety measures promised by the Department of Education. The president says that no parent will be forced to send their child if they are worried about their safety.

'High risk' activities will remain closed including:

  • restaurants
  • bars and taverns
  • accommodation
  • domestic air travel
  • conferences
  • events
  • entertainment
  • sporting events
  • beauty and hair care

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel