- A man in India walked into a hospital and told the doctors he had swallowed a mobile phone charging cable
- Doctors examined his stomach and operated on him but did not find the cable and instead located it in his bladder
- It was removed and the patient is currently recovering but according to the doctors, the man inserted the cable to the bladder through his penis
Doctors at a hospital in India have been left in shock after removing a two-foot mobile phone charging cable from a 30-year-old man's bladder after operating on his stomach first.
The patient, whose mental stability has been questioned, had told the doctors that he had swallowed the cable through his mouth but the doctors found out the cable had entered the bladder through the penis.
In a Facebook post by one of the surgeons who operated on the man, Wallie Islam, he said the patient had been complaining of stomachache and reported that he had a history of accidentally ingesting headphones.
"Surprises in surgery! After 25 years of experience in surgery, I continue to be surprised and shocked by instances like this where my intellectual and surgical skills are challenged," Islam wrote in the post on Thursday.
Islam said they examined the man's stool and conducted an endoscopy as well but couldn’t find the cable and when operated they did not find anything in his gastrointestinal tract.
"I operated upon him to find nothing in his gastrointestinal tract... but instead discovered a mobile phone charger cord in his urinary bladder... all of you must have guessed the entry point and route (it entered through his penile urethra to his urinary bladder)," Islam wrote.
The man had told the medics that he had consumed the cable through the mouth, but in fact, he had inserted it through his penis.
"I have been conducting surgeries for 25 years now but this is the first time such a case happened on the operation table,” said Islam.
Islam said the man's act was a kind of masturbation called urethral sounding in which an object or liquid is inserted into the urethra.
"The person had come to us five days after he inserted the cable. He repeatedly told us he consumed it through his mouth and we never imagined an adult would lie about such a thing,” Islam said.
The patient is now recovering and according to the doctors he had no history of mental disorder, he was doing it for pleasure.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!