Domingues is a footballer from Mozambique who plays mainly as a right winger. He is currently contracted to Bidvest Wits, a team that plays in the South African Premier Soccer League (PSL). On the national scale, he plays for his home country, Mozambique (the Black Mambas). If you follow the stats, you would know that he is the top scorer among the current players.
Even in his early days in South Africa, Domingues showed signs of his greatness that caught the eye of many. In fact, at some point in his career, there were rumours that he had attracted the attention of English giants Tottenham Hotspurs after impressing on both club and national levels. While the deal did not materialize, it goes to show how good he is. So, who exactly is Domingues?
Domingues profile summary
- Full Mozambiquan name: Elias Gaspar Pelembe
- Another name: Domingues
- Date of birth: 13th November 1983
- Place of birth: Maputo, Mozambique
- Domingues age: 36
- Nationality: Mozambican and South African
- Domingues Twitter: @eliasdpelembe
- Domingues Instagram: @dominguez_pelembe7
- Occupation: Football player
- Domingues height: 1.73 meters (5 feet 8 inches)
- Domingues weight: 68 Kg
- Famous for: Playing for Bidvest Wits as right winger, attacking midfielder, and left winger
Growing up in Mozambique, Domingues' desire to play football was triggered by his two brothers. Their home was near a football field, and young Elias would go watch his brothers and other people play.
Domingues started his senior footballing career back in 2004. Prior to that, he played in two teams during his youth, Estrela Vermelha and GD Maputo. Between 2004 and 2007, he played in his home country for Desportivo Maputo. In 2007, he left Mozambique and moved to South Africa and started his inexorable rise to where he is today. Supersport United signed him in 2007, and he stayed with them until 2009. During his time at Supersport United, he was an extremely influential player leading his team to the title.
It came as no surprise that Mamelodi Sundowns signed him in 2009, and he made a substantial wage. Do you remember that rumour of a big-money move to Europe? It emerged in the same year that he moved to Sundowns. Elias stayed with Sundowns until 2015 when he moved to his current club, Bidvest Wits, where he wears the number 11 jersey. Internationally, he has made several appearances for Mozambique.
Domingues has bagged the following honours:
- 2007 - 2008: Player of the Year- Supersport United
- 2007 - 2008: South African Champion- Supersport United
- 2008 - 2009: South African Champion- Supersport United
- 2013 - 2014: South African Champion- Mamelodi Sundowns FC
- 2016 - 2017: South African Champion- Bidvest Wits
- 2017 - 2018: South African Cup Winner- Bidvest Wits
The player’s current senior club stats are as follows in the order of year, team, appearances, and goals:
- 2007 - 2009: Supersport United - 56 - 14
- 2009 - 2015 : Mamelodi Sundowns - 131 - 14
- 2015 - present: Bidvest Wits - 133 - 8
He has appeared in 81 Mozambique national team matches and managed to score 16 goals. Other competitions he has participated in include ABSA Premiership where he has appeared 266 times and scored 32 goals.
Domingues net worth
From the substantial Elias Gaspar Pelembe salary at Bidvest Wits that is said to be around R320,000, the player is living a good life. Over the years, Pelembe has managed to accumulate a wealth that is estimated to be around R10 million. His current market value is €125,000, and his highest market value was €500,000 back in 2009.
Age is definitely not on the side of Domingues, who is almost 40 years old. Even with talk that Wits want to clear some of the older players to welcome young blood, Domingues’s name has not come up. That alone should show you how good he is. His experience will definitely come in handy in mentoring the next generation at Wits. We wish him all the best.