- Jacob Zuma risked his life to attend court, according to his lawyer Muzi Sikhakhane
- This comes despite the court indicating that the former president wouldn't have to attend
- The politician is in poor health and at higher risk of contracting Covid-19
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Advocate Muzi Sikhakhane says that Jacob Zuma 'risked his life' to attend court on Tuesday.
The former president's lawyer claimed that Zuma had been afraid another warrant of arrest would be issued against him, reports TimesLIVE.
This comes despite the court indicating that the politician wouldn't need to attend the trial due to his poor health.
Commenting on the matter, Sikhakhane insisted that the court had put fear into the ex-president:
“In February, Mr Zuma was lying ill in bed in Cuba and a warrant of arrest was issued. That put fear into an old man so he has come to court today. He wants to see justice prevail.”
READ ALSO: Court cancels Jacob Zuma's warrant of arrest, arms deal case date set
Briefly.co.za reported that Judge Kate Pillay had cancelled the warrant of arrest that had been issued in February.
In a surprising twist of events, the state had requested that the trial be postponed until October.
Covid-19 was listed by prosecutor Billy Downer as one of the many reasons proceedings would be delayed.
Sikhakhane was not amused that the state had opted to delay proceedings despite claiming they were ready to move forward:
“I have had to read 3 000 to 4 000 pages of documentation to accommodate a state prosecutor who has said more than seven times that the state is ready to proceed, but now he wants to change the timetable."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!