- The ANC has branded a cadre deployment document circulating as fake
- The document, which states that certain positions in the government should be approved by the deployment committee, has been doing rounds on social media since last week
- The ANC has distanced itself from the document whose authenticity they also deny
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
The ANC has distanced itself from a document bearing its letterhead suggesting that Luthuli House is warning its ministers that the appointment of senior staff must be guided by the party’s deployment committee.
ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe has denied that an ANC memorandum on deployment committee procedures is real, but his statement raises more questions than it answers, according to the Daily Maverick.
The document, whose authenticity the ANC has rejected, states that the government's director-generals as well as the executives at state-owned enterprises, chairpersons and board members must always get approval from its deployment committee, which is headed by Deputy President David Mabuza.
READ ALSO: 775 Schools hit by Covid-19: 1169 teachers, 523 students infected
The document has been circulating on social media, including Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp, for the past week but the ANC only issued a statement on Saturday, said the City Press.
The ruling party issued a statement refuting the memorandum, saying government appointments are made under clearly defined rules and regulations as stipulated in the Public Service Act.
Briefly.co.za reported that the DA said it would be laying a complaint against Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister (COGTA) Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma after she made comments appearing to be in support of cadre deployment.
When asked, Mabe was unable to provide further clarity on what the ANC deployment committee's policy and processes are and cited that he was very busy.
When complaints about cadre deployment peaked at the height of state capture, the role of the committee also came under scrutiny.
The Daily Maverick criticised cadre deployment, saying it was at the centre of state capture.
Mabuza’s spokesperson, Thami Ngwenya, denied knowledge of the document.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!