Gauteng Provincial Government gets R76 million to boost Covid-19 fight

Gauteng Provincial Government gets R76 million to boost Covid-19 fight

- BMW SA, the German government and the Gauteng Provincial Government signed amemorandum aimed at assisting South Africa's Covid-19 response

- The R76 million deal seeks to strengthen the resources in the province

- Among other things, Gauteng will get hospitals upgrades and ambulances

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

BMW South Africa and the German government are set to spend R76 million to help the South African Government in its Covid-19 response.

The Gauteng Provincial Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with BMW South Africa, along with the German government, to assist in the fight against Covid-19.

The multi-million-rand memorandum will also see the Gauteng Provincial gGovernment receiving 700 beds, which will be distributed across the province.

Gauteng Premier David Makhura

Gauteng Premier David Makhura
Source: UGC

READ ALSO: Explainer: Mkhize says Gauteng will soon have highest Covid-19 cases

The R76 million will provide ambulances and other emergency vehicles, upgrade medical facilities, supply medical and testing equipment and provide hundreds of extra beds for Covid-19 patients, said BusinessLIVE.

Gauteng Premier David Makhura has also warned of a coming storm as cases in the province are soaring. Speaking at BMW SA in Midrand on Monday, he said:

"As we are here today to witness an important opportunity, where we are signing an MoU between the Department of Health, GIZ and BMW, I must say that that storm has arrived in Gauteng as we speak. And when we say that storm is here, we are saying it will take all of us to weather the storm."

The signing took place during a virtual Skype meeting and was joined by guests from Munich in Germany as well as Health Minister Zweli Mkhize.

News24 reported that Makhura said the province had already been working on placing over 2 000 additional beds in its key hospitals in the north, south, west and centre of the province.

The premier also warned the public to change their social behaviour, to maintain physical distancing and also to wear their masks.

Zweli Mkhize warned that surge in Gauteng cases has also been a result of people congregating.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel