- The man who was dragged out of his shack while naked by City of Cape Town law enforcement officials has spoken out
- 28-year old Bulelani Qholani has pleaded with President Cyril Ramaphosa to help him get his dignity back
- The City of Cape Town has suspended the officials involved in the incident
The man who was dragged naked from his Cape Town shack on Wednesday has appealed to President Cyril Ramaphosa to help him reclaim his dignity.
Speaking to Newzroom Africa's Athi Mthongana on Thursday, 28-year-old Bulelani Qholani said the actions of Cape Town law enforcement officers had robbed him of his dignity and of his rights as a human being.
In a video trending on various social media platforms, the law enforcement officers are seen dragging Qholani out of his shack while he was still bathing.
Qholani said he wanted Ramaphosa and Police Minister Bheki Cele to ensure justice in the matter so that he could recover from the humiliation experienced at the hands of Cape Town city officials, said TimesLIVE.
Briefly.co.za reported that the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation Lindiwe Sisulu has condemned the "distasteful" incident and called for action to be taken against those involved.
Speaking outside the City of Cape Town offices, Qholani fought back tears as he described the injuries he sustained.
"Yesterday when we were fighting, they kicked me in my genitals, they also kicked me on my spinal cord and shoved me onto my bed as they were trying to force me out of the house.
"I asked them about what happens to my children’s rights. They replied and said they had been sent there by the City of Cape Town and would hold no discussions about it. They said there was nothing to talk about or communicate."
Qholani felt that it would be pointless opening a case against the city council because they have expensive lawyers that he, as a poor black man, cannot afford.
"Even if we were to open a case against them, it would not go anywhere because we are poor, black people" he said.
Cape Town's safety and security director, Richard Bosman, said four officials involved in Qholani's eviction had been suspended pending an investigation.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!