SAHRC heading to equality court over naked Khayelitsha man video

SAHRC heading to equality court over naked Khayelitsha man video

- The South African Human Rights Commission is heading to the Equality Court over the video of Khayelitsha man Bulelani Qholani

- Qholani was dragged out of his shack naked while he had been bathing

- SAHRC said Qholani was stripped of his basic human dignity

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is set to approach the Equality Court over the incident in which a Khayelitsha man was dragged naked out of his shack.

The man, identified as Bulelan Qholani, was dragged out of his shack by City of Cape Town officials as he was taking a bath.

Several onlookers took a video of the incidents which many have described as 'humiliating' and 'degrading'.

Bulelani Qholani was dragged out of his Khayelitsha shack naked

Bulelani Qholani was dragged out of his Khayelitsha shack naked
Source: Twitter

READ ALSO: Sisulu, Parliament want answers on eviction of naked Khayelitsha man

SAHRC Commissioner Chris Nissen said, "There is absolutely no excuse for what happened." Nissen said Qholani was stripped of all dignity when he was evicted and dragged naked from his shack.

News24 said the commission also believes it was a breach of the Disaster Management Act during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Briefly.co.za reported that Qholani has pleaded with President Cyril Ramaphosa to help him reclaim his dignity after the traumatic incident where we also sustained some injuries.

The four City of Cape Town law enforcement officer involved in the incident have been suspended.

Jacaranda FM reported that Nissen said the city acted unlawfully by evicting the community and will demand that they stop or face the Equality Court.

A march has been planned in the city in protest against the City's actions. City of Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato on Thursday described the incident as "shameful" and that it impaired Qholani's dignity, and could not be tolerated.

Plato, however, defended the city's right to stop what he deemed "illegal" land invasions.

Plato said:

"While evictions are not permitted under the lockdown, the courts, as well as the national Minister of Human Settlements, Lindiwe Sisulu, have made it clear that municipalities across South Africa have a duty to prevent illegal land invasions."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel