- Millions of South Africans are waiting on their first payment from SASSA for the Covid-19 unemployment grant
- With the agency announcing that it would be reconsidering declined applications, citizens are hopeful that relief is on its way
- However, many were left disappointed when the SASSA website crashed on Thursday afternoon
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Millions of declined citizens are hopeful that their luck will change and SASSA will greenlight them for the R350 Covid-19 unemployment grant.
Briefly.co.za reported that the agency had announced it would be reconsidering the immense number of applications it had originally declined.
This saw a high number of hopeful beneficiaries flooding the website to see if their application status had changed, resulting in it crashing.
Citizens attempting to check their application status were met with an 'Error' message on the site which had been overwhelmed by the number of queries.
SASSA had announced that it would be using an updated database to reconsider the applicants it had originally rejected.
READ ALSO: SASSA will be reconsidering millions of rejected Covid-19 applications
Nearly 70% of those who had applied had been rejected, failing to meet the qualification criteria in order to receive the grant.
In a statement issued in the wake of this announcement, SASSA explained that previously rejected applicants would receive an SMS if their application had been approved:
“Everyone affected will receive an SMS requesting them to provide their banking details. It is important to respond to the SMS as quickly as possible and to follow the link provided.
"Approved applicants are reminded that the link cannot be shared with others, as it is linked to a specific ID number for security reasons.”
The agency reminded citizens that there are numerous ways to check up on your application:
- Text 'Status' to 082 0468 553 on WhatsApp
- Use the USSD or SMS line: *134*7737#
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the SASSA Call centre IVR at 0800 60 10 11
- Visit the website: https://srd.sassa.gov.za
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!