- 2 more provinces have joined KZN in cancelling plans for Grade R learners to return to school
- This comes after consultations between the provinces basic education departments and Angie Motshekga
- KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo and the North West will not be sending Grade R learners back to school as a safety precaution
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Earlier in the week, the KwaZulu-Natal department of education decided to not all the return of Grade R pupils and 2 more provinces have decided the same, namely the North West and Limpopo.
Briefly.co.za learned that initially, the department of basic education had planned on Grades R, 1, 2, 3, 6, 10 and 11 returning to school but scrapped that plan in favour of just Grades R, 6 and 11.
Limpopo education MEC, Polly Boshielo had decided after consulting with the minister of basic education, Angie Motshekga that Grade R's would not return according to the SowetanLive.
"The provincial department of education considered various aspects which have led to the new date for the return of Grade R learners to be July 29. This arrangement does not hinder schools that had already applied and granted to reopen for different Grades as per the regulations gazetted and published by the minister of basic education. These regulations allow both public and independent schools to apply for deviation," Boshielo said.
READ MORE: AKA wishes his father happy birthday: The resemblance is uncanny
The North West province had reassessed its readiness for Grade R learners to return to school and decided against it. North West MEC for Education, Mmaphefo Matsemela explained that the aim is to save lives.
"As the provincial department we opted to delay phasing in of Grade R learners on the initial July 6. This is because we considered a gradual phasing-in approach by halting the return of Grade R learners while Grade 6 and 11 are settling in.
This is a safest approach as opposed to the inundation of all three grades at once. By so doing we are continuing to save lives of our learners in adjusting to the new normal", Matsemela said.
Earlier, Briefly.co.za had reported that the KwaZulu-Natal provincial Education Department has rejected the plan to allow Grade R students to return to school on Monday.
Minister Angie Motshekga's plan has come under immense scrutiny with only Grades R, 6 and 11 allowed to return amid a spike in Covid-19 infections.
Enock Nzama, the provincial education department's head, told parents the province would not be allowing this plan to take place:
"After careful consideration of all the reports, CEM took a decision that only Grade 6, Grade 11 and Grade R will return to school on Monday, 6 July. The decision affects all provinces. However, the province has taken a decision to only accept Grade 6 and Grade 11 on 6 July. Grade R learners must temporarily remain at home and await further advice.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!