Have you heard of hard Kombucha or tried it before? Would you mind learning how to prepare it? How about taking a good lesson on how to prepare this fizzy and boozy drink? You never know, it might turn out to be your favourite drink.
Kombucha is known to be a health drink that does magic to the gut. It is known to have healthy bacteria that aids in digestion. It is also beneficial in managing other lifestyle conditions like type 2 diabetes, heart-related complications, to mention a few. However, you can spice up the drink by transforming it into hard Kombucha. Would you like to know how to prepare it? You might want to stick around for details.
Hard kombucha recipe
Transforming your typical Kombucha to a fizzy drink is not as easy as it sounds. It takes more than the knowledge to prepare hard Kombucha. You will require a high level of patience, especially during the fermentation process. However, that should not scare you because this hard Kombucha recipe has your back.
READ ALSO: Tips on how to cook gammon and ham
Preparing the SCOBY
SCOBY is the magic that transforms tea into the healthy drink that everyone roots for. It is the component that gives the tea the gut-friendly bacteria. If you cannot buy it, you can consider preparing it at home.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 7 cups of boiled water
- 4 tea bags
- Store-bought Kombucha
- Boil the seven cups of water.
- Add the tea bags and sugar to the boiling water and stir to ensure that the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Allow the brew to cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer the brew into a gallon.
- Add the store-bought Kombucha to the brew.
- Cover the gallon using breathable cotton and secure it using rubber bands.
- Store the gallon at a dark area with warm temperature for one to four weeks until when the SCOBY starts to form. Let the SCOBY stay in the original tea until when you choose to ferment.
The difference between this process and preparing the SCOBY is that the portion of the ingredients doubles up. It is also important to note that the SCOBY should be handled with care since it is the bacteria that facilitate the fermentation process. Therefore, your hands should be clean when you handle it.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 14 cups of water
- 8 tea bags
- Boil the 14 cups of water and add the sugar.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- As the water cools, add the 8 tea bags and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the tea into a clean gallon.
- Drop the SCOBY into the jar and cover it using a breathable cloth secured with rubber bands. Allow the tea to ferment at room temperature in a dark place for six to ten days.
READ ALSO: Delicious chicken breyani recipe
This third fermentation step is different from the rest as it does not involve the SCOBY. Instead, yeast is used in this procedure, and it is meant to facilitate the fermentation process. Another thing that is different in this procedure is that the gallon is closed using the lid to trap carbon (IV) oxide, which causes fizzing.
- Kombucha from the second fermentation
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 1 cup of warm spring water
- 3/4 teaspoon of a dehydrated champagne yeast
- Fruit juice
Add the organic sugar to the warm spring water and stir to ensure that the sugar dissolves in the water.
- Allow the mixture to cool before adding the dehydrated champagne yeast.
- Add the mixture to the Kombucha from the second fermentation.
- Stir the mixture sufficiently to ensure that the two liquids are mixed. Cover the gallon using its lid and not the breathable cloth.
- Leave the mixture to ferment for 7 to 14 days. The gallon should be stored in an area that has consistent temperature and is away from direct light.
- After the 7 to 14 days, add organic fruit juices of your choice to give the hard Kombucha a fruity taste.
These are some of the questions that you could make you understand the whole process.
What is hard kombucha?
This is Kombucha that is made using more sugar and a special type of yeast. Its fermentation period is also longer.
Can kombucha make you feel drunk?
Kombucha contains an alcohol percentage of 0.5%, which is not enough to make you feel drunk.
How do you make high alcohol content for kombucha?
For you to increase the alcohol content in the drink, you ought to increase the amount of sugar in the mixture. By doing so, you will be providing the yeast more sugar, thus producing more alcohol.
How do you make kombucha hard?
If you want to make kombucha hard, you ought to increase the sugar in the brew. You will also be required to increase the amount of yeast as well as the brewing time.
Is hard kombucha healthy?
Hard Kombucha produces probiotic bacteria which is beneficial for the gut.
Is kombucha alcoholic?
The commercial Kombucha alcohol content is 0.5%, which is significantly low and cannot make you drunk. However, if you prepare it at home, the alcohol content might be slightly higher.
If you have been trying to get a hold of hard Kombucha in the stores in the country and your effort has been in vain, you ought to stop fussing. This recipe provides the steps that you should follow to prepare the boozy drink.
- How to make the perfect homemade Cornish pie the South Africa way
- How to make light and fluffy Swiss roll recipe
- Easy burfee recipe with condensed milk