- The EFF is calling for the immediate removal of Eskom COO Jan Oberholzer
- Oberholzer was named as a shareholder in a company that defrauded billions from the power utility
- The EFF is threatening to occupy Eskom offices unless Oberholzer is removed
The EFF is calling for the head of Eskom Chief Operating Officer Jan Oberholzer. The party claims he looted from the power utility. The EFF wants the immediate removal of Oberholzer and are threatening to occupy the power utility if he is not removed.
The party claims that the COO is “corrupt” and has been using the power utility to "enrich himself, his business and relatives".
Last week Eskom revealed the names of the four companies that benefited from a R4 billion overpayment for a project done at the Kusile power plant in Mpumalanga.
It was revealed that Oberholzer is a shareholder at Steffanutti Stocks, one of the firms which allegedly defrauded Eskom of billions.
The EFF claims that he is part of the syndicate looting Eskom for personal benefit and as well as those close to him.
The South African reported that the EFF said, in a statement on Tuesday:
"We call for Oberholzer’s removal since damning allegations against him regarding nepotism, victimisation of non-compliant employees and conflict of interest arose in March 2020. The EFF is vindicated now that the farce report that cleared him is being subjected to public scrutiny."
The EFF said that Oberholzer was part of transaction engagements between his company Steffanutti Stocks and Eskom as the COO at least on three occasions.
The "Red Berets" also allege that Oberholzer then victimised the whistle-blower in the matter, "revealing how sinister his corruption is and how he will go to great lengths to suppress transparency and accountability" .
The EFF claims that Oberholzer is working together with Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan to collapse Eskom and sell it to the highest bidder.
The party said the COO should be removed immediately or they will "occupy Eskom offices and rescue them from being sued by criminals who are working against the light."
Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za reported that the Constitutional Court has dismissed an application for a group of concerned citizens to challenge the Covid-19 restrictions.
The court had found that it wouldn't have been in the interests of justice to hear the case that sought to have the lockdown regulations declared invalid. The group also wanted to have the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) declared inconsistent with the Constitution and Disaster Management Act.
Mpiyakhe Dlamini, Duwayne Esau, Tami Jackson, Lindo Khuzwayo, Mikhail Manuel, Neo Mkwane and Scott Roberts had their application dismissed by the Western Cape High Court.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!