3 Pacific mariners finally found after rescuers spot their SOS in the sand

3 Pacific mariners finally found after rescuers spot their SOS in the sand

- Three mariners who got lost after they missed their way and separated from their destination by 118 miles have been found

- An SOS message pointed rescuers to where they were right at the time when the search parties were about to give up looking

- The rescue mission was said to have been successful because different organisations came together to forge a single strong force

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Thanks to an SOS message written on the small beach of a Pacific island, three missing mariners have been found. Their rescue was made known by both the US and Australian authorities on Tuesday, August 4, CNN reports.

According to the same media, the three men had set out in a boat on Thursday, July 30, on a journey from Pulawat to Pulap before they went off course and exhausted their fuel.

After they got lost, they landed on Pikelot island, which is 118 miles from where they intended to land. When it was noticed that the mariners had not arrived when they were due, a joint rescue mission was launched.

A KC-135 pilot, Lt Col Jason Palmeria-Yen, said they were almost done with their search when they looked down and saw an SOS signal.

Christopher Chase, a US coast guard captain, said that partnership was the reason why the search mission was successful.

A picture showing the SOS sign in the sand. Photo source: BBC
A picture showing the SOS sign in the sand. Photo source: BBC
Source: UGC

In news closer to home, Briefly.co.za last week reported that three high-ranking SANDF officials were busted when they were seen breaking lockdown Level 3 rules.

While smokers in the country are anxiously awaiting the government to lift the ban on the sale of tobacco products, the three officials were seen enjoying a smoke during Andrew Mlangeni's funeral.

With the ban on cigarettes firmly in place for five months now, South Africans were left wondering where the SANDF officials got cigarettes from in the first place.

After the video went viral on social media platforms, internal disciplinary probes were launched against the SANDF members who were caught smoking during Mlangeni's funeral.

READ ALSO: Enhle Mbali: Mzansi compares Black Coffee's ex to Alexandra Cane

Police Minister Bheki Cele confirmed that the investigation into allegations of flouting lockdown law during the event was underway:

"The question about Andrew Mlangeni's funeral is under investigation. There are people who have been asked by the police and as the investigation is finalised the docket will be taken to the [National Prosecuting Authority] for a decision."

In addition to this, Cele announced that internal action has been taken against the smoking soldiers:

"But the soldiers that you saw, already speaking to the minister of defence yesterday, has told me that the internal disciplines have been taken against the soldiers that were smoking there."

Meanwhile, the ANC's national executive committee issued an apology after other lockdown regulations were breached at the funeral too. ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe has responded to the incident, blaming the crowd for gathering outside of the 95-year-old's Soweto home.

Mabe explained that only a handful of ANC members had been deployed to the event and that the rest of the attendants had gathered of their own accord.

At the time, Briefly.co.za reported how citizens had been outraged by images from the ceremony showing how a huge crowd had gathered outside of the event despite lockdown law stipulating that funerals may only have 50 people present.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel