Charlize Theron celebrates her 45th birthday today and she truly has so much to show for herself. This Mzansi-born international actress has climbed mountains.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
She is the recipient of numerous accolades, including an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2016.
Briefly.co.za knows what an amazing influence and motivation Charlize has been for many South Africans to reach for the stars and to never let their circumstances hold them back.
Charlize has been living abroad for many years now but never once has she forgotten to give back to her roots and do whatever she can to help the people of not only Mzansi but Africa as a whole.
As Charlize turns 45 today, Briefly.co.za felt it would be nice to honour her by presenting 10 amazing facts about our very talented actress that some might still not know.
Happy birthday, Charlize!
- Charlize was born in Benoni, South Africa on 7 August, 1975. She lived with her parents Charles and Gerda on their family farm.
- Her mother tongue language is Afrikaans – some would never say as she is now an international movie star.
- Since the age of six, Charlize was a ballerina and even attended a special school for dance. However, her passion changed to acting but she still loves to dance.
- Charlize’s childhood was not a very cheerful one as her father was an abusive alcoholic, now making her an avid activist for gender-based and child violence.
- Marilyn Monroe and Bette Davis were Charlize’s role models as a child.
- In 2017, Theron was the seventh-highest paid actress in the world; she made $14 million that year alone. Theron typically makes $10 million or more for each movie she stars in.
READ ALSO: Reebok responds to AKA’s serious and public SneAKA accusations
- Theron decided to move to New York City at the age of just 18 and start her career as a fashion model, it was then that her life really started and doors just did not stop opening.
- At the age of 19, Theron was at a bank in Los Angeles and she was trying to make a withdrawal out of her South African account and told she was not allowed to. It was then that John Crosby noticed her strong stand and approached her to ask if she needed an agent – this was her big break moment.
- The film that really made her internationally famous was 2003’s Monster, which she won an Oscar, an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for.
- Charlize gives back to the community through a great deal of charity work. One of the biggest charities she supports is The Global Fund, which helps in the fight against malaria, AIDS and tuberculosis.
READ ALSO: 8 Minnie Dlamini-Jones facts in celebration of her 30th birthday
Briefly.co.za previously reported that the star's third Oscar nomination was announced on Monday. In 2004, Charlize won Best Actress for her role in Monster and in 2006 she was nominated in the same category for her role in North Country.
This year, she is nominated for her role in the movie Bombshell. She is up against Cynthia Erivo, Scarlett Johansson, Saoirse Ronan and Renée Zellweger.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!