- Derek Hanekom has reportedly accepted ex-president Jacob Zuma's apology
- The former tourism minister's lawyer said uBaba's Twitter apology was accepted but Hanekom still wants him to pay for damages
- Zuma called Hanekom a 'known enemy agent' of the state last year and he wants half a million rand in damages
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Former President Jacob Zuma decided to finally apologise to former tourism minister Derek Hanekom, who has allegedly accepted his Twitter apology.
Msholozi had been ordered to issue a public apology after making defamatory comments aimed at the ANC veteran.
Zuma called Hanekom a "known enemy agent" last year and the remark ended with the duo facing off in court.
On Sunday, Briefly.co.za reported that in short statement issued on his social media, the ex-president had unconditionally withdrawn the allegation that Hanekom had collaborated with apartheid authorities.
The controversial comment itself was also deleted, in line with the ruling on the matter. Zuma commented that:
“Mr Hanekom wrote the following message asking the courts to force me to say it as it is written. The High Court agreed that I should say it. I am now saying it as it is: On 25 July 2019, I published a tweet which alleges that Derek Hanekom is a known enemy agent. I unconditionally withdraw this allegation and apologise for making it as it is false."
According to eNCA, Hanekom's lawyer revealed he had accepted the former head of state's apology. However, that does not mean Hanekom doesn't want anything else.
The publication reported the former minister allegedly wants Zuma to pay R500 000 for damages.
READ ALSO: Covid 19 update: SA records 73% recovery, NZ 100 days Covid-free
During an interview with eNCA, Webber Wentzel partner Pooja Dela-Cron explained why Hanekom accepted Jacob Zuma's apology despite many saying it was not sincere.
She said Hanekom accepted the apology because the highest court in the country ruled that Zuma should withdraw his statements because they were "false and defamatory."
Take a look at the interview below:
In other news, the government is expected to review the regulations of SA's Covid-19 lockdown with the NCCC to meet on Tuesday.
The country may be set for a relaxation with experts indicating that many provinces, including the Western Cape, Gauteng and the Eastern Cape, already having passed peak infections.
The Sunday Times reports that Mzansi can expect another 'family meeting' with President Cyril Ramaphosa with the current state of disaster set to expire on Saturday.
The KwaZulu-Natal province remains a concern with the number of cases in the region seeing an influx.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!