- David Mabuza has called in sick at Parliament again, making it the second time in as many months
- His medical team has extended his time off but little is actually known about Mabuz'as illness
- The DA wants an explanation so that the public can understand how Mabuza is really doing, the remain sceptical and believe he is just dodging questions
Deputy President David Mabuza has informed Parliament that he is unable to perform his mandated duties due to ill health.
Briefly.co.za learned that this is the second time that Mabuza has called in sick in as many months. He has been very quiet during lockdown and has again told Parliament that he can't answer any questions.
“The speaker of the National Assembly, Thandi Modise, has received correspondence from the deputy president of SA, Mr David Mabuza, requesting the rescheduling of his appearance before National Assembly,” parliament said in a statement on Tuesday.
Previously, Mabuza was called on in July to answer questions, he asked the session to be postponed and requested alternative dates according to Business Day.
Parliament’s spokesperson Moloto Mothapo said that Mabuza would take up his duties once he is well enough to do so.
“The deputy president has once again fully committed to his availability before Parliament once fully recovered”, Mothapo continued.
The Democratic Alliance remains sceptical over Mabuza absence and accused him of making excuses according to The South African.
“The session on Thursday is essential in ensuring the Executive is held to account, and as Leader of Government Business in Parliament, the Deputy President must avail himself to give account of the brazen Covid-19 corruption of his party, the ANC, and government”, said DA spokesperson Solly Malatsi.
The DA wants an explanation as to where Mabuza was and what his state of health is.
“So, where is DD Mabuza? He is either seriously ill, and his office is trying to hide that fact, or there is nothing wrong with him and he is simply trying to avoid accountability by claiming ill health whenever he is called to Parliament”
Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Deputy President David Mabuza’s bodyguards have allegedly been on a R10 million spending spree at the Southern Sun Emnotweni in Mpumalanga over the past two years. Sunday World reported that the 12 bodyguards have been staying at the hotel at a cost of R1 200 a room, notwithstanding food and room service, since August 2018.
R5.3 million was spent at the luxury hotel in 2019 and at least R3.1 million has been spent there so far this year.
A quarter of this bill, which is footed by the taxpayers, was allegedly incurred in the absence of the deputy president. This was confirmed by government and hotel sources.
In other news, Deputy President David Mabuza's office has released a statement over his sudden illness after it was made public on Wednesday.
Mabuza's spokesperson Matshepo Seedat commented that Mabuza has tested negative for Covid-19:
"The deputy president has, in the past, spoken openly about his ill health. As per previous communication by the department for defence on the coronavirus test result, nothing has changed."
His office explained that he had taken advice from his doctor and is currently recovering in Mpumalanga.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!